Martin Mendez

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ryanms3030, Jan 7, 2014.

1. ryanms3030

ryanms3030

Curious to know the thoughts of the community on him. Bass player for the band Opeth. One of my favorite bands of any genre so obviously I like his playing especially on their mellower more prog leaning tracks
  2. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Can't knock him. I'm more into Johan Defarfalla though, I like the first 3 Opeth albums best
  3. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

yeah he's a great player, mixed too low a lot of the time however
  4. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum. Supporting Member

Martin's a great player. I always wondered why he used the Marcus Miller Jazzes specifically, as opposed to a regular Jazz. But he's great. More rock-oriented than Johan DeFarfalla, but that's not a bad thing.

The way he headbangs is also an influence on me :D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. erigod23

erigod23

I love him. Can't hear him live, though.
  7. ryanms3030

ryanms3030

The guy can pull off some amazing helicopter heabanging even on the mellowest song
  8. djaxup

djaxup

Great player, Opeth has some great bass lines. I especially love "the drapery falls".
    I've seen them live for their 20th anniversary tour in Essen, Germany. He was mixed good there, I could definitely hear him and feel the groove.
  9. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Agree that he's mixed way too low most of the time. Akerfeldt's own bass playing on MA,YH (possibly the best Opeth album for me) is quite underrated imo.
  10. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Totally agree with this. No matter who is playing, Opeth albums have good bass playing, especially considering that the genre doesn't always give the instrument a chance to shine. But I really wonder what Akerfeldt might have done if he had another album to be the bass player on. It wasn't just filling in, he let the bass really get noticed at points during that album.
  11. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

Agreed, I love what he does at the end of The Amen Corner, the slow clean part in When, and the clean breaks in Karma. More creative than given credit for. More interesting than the majority of Mendez' playing imo, though Mendez really must be praised for his playing on Damnation, and what can be heard on Deliverance.
  12. Hamlet7768

Thanks to this, I'm getting back into Opeth, particularly Heritage. I never noticed that Mendez, in addition to his usual bass guitar duties, is also playing upright on at least the title track. Pretty cool if you ask me.
  13. ryanms3030

ryanms3030

I'm a huge Opeth fan and I didn't even know that Akerfeltd played bass on MAYH. Also probably my favorite album but I think the run of MYYH, Still LIfe and BWP were all perfection. I really am getting into Heritage too.
  14. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

He's definitely a great bass player. I really like his playing.
  15. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

That's pretty cool. I haven't heard that album yet, but I always thought that based on the way Mendez crafts his lines that he must have some background on the upright.
  16. Hamlet7768

Do give it a listen. It's much more progressive-feeling than their other albums, but lacks the death growling.
  17. sotua

sotua

anybody know how to get that fat distorted tone in "lines in my hand"? I've been playing for 20 years but am a total n00b fx-wise.
  18. Hamlet7768

Perusing an older thread, it sounds like he uses a Blackstar HT-Dual distortion.