1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

'Martin' Stinger SBL-10 Bass: Any opinions? Anyone know what the body is made of?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doctor Hugocat, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Doctor Hugocat

Doctor Hugocat

A singer I work with just gave me an old bass that he's had in his apartment for at least 10 years. It's a Stinger P/J in black with rosewood fretboard. It needs a tuner, a saddle screw and a jack plate.

I know these aren't highly though of, so since it doesn't seem like I'll be destroying a great bass I thought I'd use it to do some fun mods. I'd really like to strip the body and have it natural, but before I wade in, can anyone tell me what the body's made of and what it's likely to look like stripped?:confused:

I'll be putting in a set of inexpensive but decent (hopefully) pickups, changing the electronics etc. The idea is to have something decent for a low price to take around smaller gigs.

Any help appreciated! Thanks. :bassist:
  2. Psychbunny

Psychbunny

I recently sold my Stinger SBL-10 after 20 plus years. I liked mine. Nice maple neck. These were imported by Martin (yes that Martin). Made in Korea in the late 1980's. Very hot pups, super beefy bridge. My action was set a tad high but I am an aggressive finger style player. Heavy. I am guessing that mine was ash but I do not know as it was painted. Mine is on sale at guitar center for $224 right now. I bought it new in 1989 and doubt I paid much more than that for it.

Bottom line is that it is a decent bass and comparable to decent MIK basses from that period. Heavier than a Dean and IMO better built than Fender MIK's. My only complaint was that I did not like the color of mine (butter cream) but that has nothing to do with the quality of the bass. It is an adequate workhorse and a good deal for the $200.00 range of used basses.
  3. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

I worked on the Strat guitar version. It was an extremely heavy guitar, made of plywood.
  4. Doctor Hugocat

Doctor Hugocat

Thanks Psychbunny!

I'm stripping it because I'm not keen on the black color....though I think I'll keep the black headstock, it looks cool.

If the body doesn't look good 'natural' I can always paint it again!:D

The general fit and quality of the bass seems good: the necks and frets are VERY nicely made and finished.
  5. Doctor Hugocat

Doctor Hugocat

Cool, thanks......maybe I'll strip and re-paint it then.....