MAS Soundworks (Big E Speakers) fanclub

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nomatic, Apr 8, 2014.

1. nomatic

nomatic

I have no idea why the Big E thread is locked but I want to continue discussing this amazing technology.....
    I have used 3 models from Mike Arnopol and currently have a 210 flex and I have never been more pumped about a speaker.
    To illustrate my obsession.....
    In the nineties I carried a Bagend ELF 18 a 210 coaxial and a 15 coaxial wedge with a Glockenglang bassart pre....
    previous to this i had custom ultra high end P.A. type units.
    I have owned or played the majority of Boutique bass cabs
    and the Big E designs are truly ground breaking. When not playing Live I work as a session player and Mastering engineer so my whole life revolves around high end monitoring. When I say there is something special going on here it is from being on a O.C.D. tone quest for 30 years.....:)
    Us Big E Geeks can also be found at...
    http://forum.bigeloudspeakers.com/

2. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
  3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

I've been playing for quite a while but am a rank amateur compared to Mike and Nomatic. I am also fortunate that I haven't had to spent as much time and money as they have in the pursuit of tone. For the past few years I have been playing three-way cabs from Acme and AccuGroove. The last conventional cab I played was a Baer ML-112. Then along came the very intriguing and lengthy thread concerning developments with BigE technology. I decided that I had to jump in and try one. I was considering one of the cabs based on the 6" drivers, but when I began reading of the developing Flex series, Mike graciously let me change my order, and a few weeks later I received one of the 110 Flex cabinets. It's a jaw-dropper and ear pleaser. No conventional cabinet that I know of even comes close to performing like this cabinet. Nothing else on the market piques my curiosity. They are that good. :cool:

4. radbass

radbass supporting member Supporting Member

I was visiting the MAS corporate headquarters yesterday and was once again blown away by this ground breaking technology. Mike showed me the pressure regulator [ it has a name now that I already forgot. Help Mike! ] and I immediately thought this can't do anything, so Mike dragged out a 4x6 without the regulator and one with. We tried the without with a Puma 900, a Monique into the Puma power amp, a GK MB800 fusion, the Monique into the MB power, and a Demeter Minnie. The only 4x6 I heard before was a pre-production prototype and I was impressed with that. The current 4x6 with the OEM 6.5s and the 3" mids is just amazing. It isn't possible for four little speakers to go that loud or low, much lower than my 3015lf cab, but with no boominess. Then we tried the cab with the regulator. It went just as deep,but there was a clarity and focus to upper bass and lower mids that exceded the other cab. All of the notes from the low B to the top of the G were more even and distinct. That's an obvious improvement to even sounding and articulate cabs out there. Oh, that Monique is probably the sweetest sound I've heard for bass, but that new Demeter just kills. My GK also sounded better through that cab than anything I've plugged it into.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. J.Wolf

J.Wolf

Disclosures:
    Director of Advertising, Bass Gear Magazine
    Count me in. After trying everything I could get my hands on for the last 15 years, the flex 210 beats the pants off all of it IMO. It is just a stunning cab and nothing I've heard can touch it. The low end just keeps on coming with zero build up and bulk (somehow), the mids and highs are exquisitely detailed and nuanced, and it disperses like frat boys after the keg runs out.

I don't want to use anything else, and that's a problem since I don't own one !! :)

7. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

8. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Count me in as well. When I saw the 210 Flex, I called Mike to ask if he could make a modular version, and he told me he was already working on the design. And I ordered it.

I've owned and played BFM cabinets and fEarfuls, and over the past 30 years a Bunch O' Stuff, high end and not. And I haven't been this excited about a cab in a long, long time.

9. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

After I got back into playing almost ten years ago, I bought Ampeg 4x10, Mesa diesel 2x15, Acme 2x10's, bought a nEarful and built a fEARful. All varieties of good to great.
    There is definitely something special with the MAS BigE's though. You have to hear them.
    My smaller 4x6 is on order, can't wait to hear the improvements. The mighty 4x8 will be handling it's own on two upcoming outdoor gigs. I will probably use the 46 as a PA speaker on those outdoor gigs! Cool cabs.
    I am sure the TB rules are in place for a reason. This will all work out.;)

10. Haroldo

Haroldo

Just got back from work - saw the ban early, early in the morning. Mod(s) have to prove his/her/their case. They haven't.

These speakers are the best I've played through (and - yep, I own one, an early, happy adopter). Happiness with a product should not preclude its discussion on this forum.

What's with the Mods here? To whom do they respond and why?

Thanks for the opportunity to rant.

11. lelandcrooks

lelandcrooks

Disclosures:
    Owner SpeakerHardware.com
    I actually did lol.

12. mothra2

mothra2 Supporting Member