Masada - ash/maple body - P Bass copy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Jan 1, 2014.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

This bass I am guessing is Japan made from the 70's.

I will load pics when I can, but for now, it has a multi piece body.

The big outer wings are solid ash but stained sort of a dark oak color, the middle part (which is the thickness of the neck) appears to be 3 piece clear maple with thin strips of a mystery wood in between and NO pickguard.

The whole bass is otherwise a P bass copy but from the front it looks like a neck thru body.

The body weighs 7.2 lbs (minus the bridge only) & the neck is 2.2 lbs with the tuners.

What kind of tone can I expect from something like this and what P pickup would you folks suggest?

Also, there is actually cloth wire connecting the pots and a brown chicklet looking capacitor.

Anyone know this brand?

2. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Anyone care to comment on this P-bass ash/maple body combination?

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

I'm not familiar with that brand, but those cutting-board bodies were pretty popular during the 70s and, yes, it's probably Japanese. Some of those basses were very well-made.

Based upon the ones I've played that were of similar construction, expect a mid-heavy sound and a lot of sustain. Those basses were typically outfitted with heavy brass hardware and hot pickups along the lines of the DiMarzio's that were all the rage with 70s rockers.

I'm guessing by your description that the neck is maple?

All in all, it's still going to be way similar to a P-bass in tone.

4. rickwebb

rickwebb

I had one of those! Nice P-Bass copy. Only problem? It was a wee bit neck heavy because the body was so light!
    Wish I still had it...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Thanks guys!

Each pickup measures at 7.9k and 7.1k thereabouts with what appears to be ceramic magnets.

Yes the fairly big neck is maple with rosewood board.

500k pots & stamped steel bridge with big brass saddles.

Any suggestions for strings?