Massachusetts Tube Amp Repair?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tilehilder, Mar 17, 2006.

1. tilehilder

tilehilder Supporting Member

Hello. I have a sick Ampeg SVT-100 amp. Never repaired a tube amp before and not sure who to trust. Any people in the area have recommendations?
  2. marc40a

marc40a

Alectronics in Stoneham.
  3. Rock City

Rock City

I live in Stoneham, and I don't use them! If you'd like to P.M. me, I can give you my tech's info. He does all my personal work, and all of the work for the shop. Probably the best I've ever worked with. He doesn't just check your amp on the scope, he actually PLAYS it to see if it sounds good.
    Corey
  4. corinpills

corinpills

Alectronics ain't what it used to be. They are still good, but they specialize in long waits and there are much better people devoted to tube amps in the Boston area. Cory at Rock City can sort you out for sure.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. timmers

timmers Supporting Member

Yo -

The absolute *BEST* amp guy I've ever known/used/whatever is Tom over at Aztech Electronics in Watertown, MA. They were in business (and very busy) as of October 2004, when I left Boston for DC, and can only assume they're still going strong. Tom knows his sh1t like no one else, plays through everything before he tells you it's "fixed," and *always* called me before doing anything to make sure I wanted to drop the bread on any repairs or whatnot. (617) 926-6725

Good luck!

Tim
  7. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

For Tube Stuff - Stan is the Man. He's rebuilt my V4-B, Got me more headroom out of my B-15, Made my Danacord Bass King sound better (and much quieter). Call Corey to get his info.

Aztech is fine and Tom has repaired things for me in the past but I, personally, would only ever take my tube stuff to Stan.
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Media:
    If your in western MA ampworks has a good reputation.
  9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Media:
    I think that I have had 10 out of 10 great experiences with Aztech Electronics... they even bought me Armenian food once while I waited for a head to be re-repaired... Cool cats!!
  10. Rock City

Rock City

I think......."re-repaired"...might be the key-word here! L.O.L.!
    Corey
  11. andrewd

andrewd

the repair center at berklee is pretty damn good. miscfix.com
  12. j-raj

Media:
    maybe, but at least they are honest and will 'right' a situation... that particular situation was handled right away. Gosh that was like 10 years ago, I can't believe I remember about them.
  13. Rock City

Rock City

Yeah.....Tom and Aztech are cool. I was just "funnin'" ya. The main reason I don't use them is because of their backlog, and the fact that my other 2 shops (one for tube stuff, one for solid state) both pick up and drop off. I've also had great luck with my 2 current guys, so I've had no reason to look elsewhere. I send ALOT of people to Aztech though if they live in that area.
    Corey
  14. j-raj

Media:
    They do good work and that is what is important. yeah, backlog is horrible for customer service, but that is why a back-up rig is so important these days for the working musician. I think that a bunch of cats find themselves in a pinch when they don't come to the realization that you HAVE to have a back up.

... oh and BTW, you know I have no sense of humour :eyebrow: .
  15. Rock City

Rock City

So young......yet so grumpy! L.O.L.!!!!:D
    Corey
  16. j-raj

Media:
    :D

...ps, not as young as you think.
  17. DrewBud

DrewBud

+1 for Aztech!!!
  18. Corwin81

Corwin81

SVT-100 is almost identical to a Marshall JCM800 2203, just tweaked for bass. If the repairman can fix those, the SVT shouldn't be a problem FYI