1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Matamp Bass Preamp!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bassmec, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
  2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    That thing has been tempting me, since I have a Matamp Slave 300 to go with.
  3. dunwichamps

dunwichamps

Disclosures:
    Owner: Dunwich Amps
    you have the skills to build 1. no doubt.
  4. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

That is awesome.... But too big.

I love my Monique to death, but something inside me wants to buy a big backup rack and fill it with different preamps for fun.... Alembic, Demeter, a SVP, Sansamp, etc. if the Matamp came in a 1U or 2U rack format, I would be all over it!
  5. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

My thoughts exactly. I want one, but that's just stupid. Hopefully they can shrink the production ones down a bit.
  6. Sartori

Sartori

7. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Sometimes really small and seriously light is not quite as attractive to me as very slightly bigger.
    [​IMG]
    While this may be a perfectly suitable vehicle for the average Talkbass micro bass amp user, after all with the simple addition of a roof rack the Fearful 15/6 can travel too.:bawl:
    [​IMG]
    Rolls Royces are however somewhat conveniently, sufficiently proportioned for the Matamp rig owner.
    I don't see any commercial advantage in shrinking the Rolls to fit a new market, it is what it is and always has been. You either want to afford a Matamp design and all that it entails, or you simply don't.:bassist:
  8. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

I guess that means I need to get to my next gig in a Rolls Royce.:cool:

I think I would still be more interested in the Dunwich GT120 pedal.
  9. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Absolutely!, My former employer a Mr Entwistle Esq of Stow, had a roomy estate version custom built for him, even though he never had a driving licence.
    [​IMG]
    Our Mr Entwistle was very concerned about maintaining standards and quite rightly so in my estimation.:bassist:
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

While I enjoy the good Bassmec's humour and enthusiasm I can see no point in a pre-amp the size of a 100W amp. As for the car, what else should you expect from an Ox!!! :D
  11. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

I am a total Matamp fan. However, I don't see the point of making this so large. I guess they have their reasons. Make it smaller and I am all over it.
    If anyone ever runs across a Matamp GTO for sale, PM me. I miss mine... :(
  12. dunwichamps

dunwichamps

Disclosures:
    its that big because they did not use a toroid for the power supply which could have made it much smaller. Plus its entirely PTP so thats going to take up mucho room. Bigger is nicer to build, less noise, less chance of circuit interaction.
  13. bassboysam

you gotta love all the iron in that thing though...not bad for "just" a preamp/DI.

how big is it? I thought it would be about the same size as the Minimats, which really are not all that big.
  14. dunwichamps

dunwichamps

Disclosures:
    Wouldnt bother me but then again I build 100W amps that are 12" x 12" x 26"
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

While I agree totally with our friend's post, smaller is more fun. :D

This is what I use:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/a...e-those-pics-513929/index24.html#post11465686

Edit: BTW it is almost totally silent in operation.
  16. dunwichamps

dunwichamps

Disclosures:
    We do have some big difference in build approach

[​IMG]

This is a modded Matamp GT120 but fairly close to the 70s specs.

of course thats not a preamp

I am doing an Acoustic 140/150 modded preamp in a small 10 x 5 x 2 enclosure but its all SS so much simpler and lot less wiring then a tube preamp.

Noise level is going to more problematic if the pre has a lot of gain for say clipping and distortion or overdrive. Closer the circuit is, more likely you can get PO. But its a statistical thing, or a general rule of thumb. Doesnt always mean smaller is noisier of course.
  17. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

No reason they shouldn't be able build a preamp in a 2U rack format, even using conventional iron. Even my single space units are dead quiet and they have quite a bit of gain on tap. Layout and grounding is key, but those guys build really clean stuff, so I'm sure they could pull it off with a bit of planning.
  18. bassboysam

I think they just wanted to keep the Matamp aesthetics, they are not exactly known for being the most practical amps. :)
  19. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

That's probably a big part of it, and ya gotta respect them for doing their own thing.
  20. dunwichamps

dunwichamps

Disclosures:
    if you wanna do it on PCB its easier. PTP is not my preferred choice of building. So hard to decipher the nest. Turrets superior IMO but either way not easy to squeeze it.