1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MAtamp GT200 price?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Thunder_chops, May 13, 2013.

1. Thunder_chops

Thunder_chops

Hello all. Long time viewer, first time poster. I'm currently looking for a stonking bass amp that will hopefully be the first and last 'proper' amp I will buy. I've narrowed it down to either the Orange terror bass 1000, Orange AD200b or a Matamp GT200. I was leaning toward the AD200b but after reading many posts on here it looks like for the same price I can get a Matamp which is of superior build quality and can be personalised. I'm currently comparing prices but I'm unsure what the current price of a Matamp GT200, can anyone help?

The plus side is I live in Leeds so Huddersfield is a stones throw away!:p
  2. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Why don't you contact them directly? If I were you I'd take a day trip down and try out one, discuss how they can be customized for you, etc.

Otherwise they might come up used on Basschat once in a long while.

I know there are better built amps out there (Reeves, Matamp, Morgan, etc) and that the Orange TBs are very fine amps, but man does the Orange all tube sound good clean, and have a great tone when breaking up. It's a killer amp that is justifiably very popular these days in guitar driven rock.
  3. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

My Orange AD200 MK3 is a beautiful amp, extremely well made and as the other poster says it sounds awesome! You can get them in black tolex as well as orange.....
  4. Thunder_chops

Thunder_chops

Just got off the phone

£1699 for the amp and £795 for a 4x10 although he has a second hand 8x10 in at the moment he would do for the same price, I'd rip his hand off but it simply wouldn't fit in the car!

To be honest Jeff was so great at explaining their processes and obviously knew exactly what he was talking about I'm pretty much sold, plus he's from Yorshire like yours truly.

Going to give it a few months to get the dosh together and then head down as suggested.

One downside is that the Orange amps/cabs look so feckin fantastic in Orange though...darn! :meh:
  5. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Get some orange tolex and mod your future-Matamp and cab to orange?? :bag:
  6. Thunder_chops

Thunder_chops

Was considering doing that and having the front read fauxrange, norange, satsuma or similar ;)
  7. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    "Original" in Orange font, since Matamp came first.
  8. Thunder_chops

Thunder_chops

DONE!!! Now nobody steal this idea OK? :spit:
  9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I can highly recommend that 8x10 ;) since it's mine, but yeah you can do no wrong with Matamp they've done me some major favours as of late.
  10. Captain Bob

Captain Bob Supporting Member

Resurrecting this older thread.....I would have said just look inside each of these for build quality, and there is your answer.

How is that GT200 working out? I would love to have one, and wish Matamp had dealers here in the US.
  11. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I'm keen to see if the name badge idea was done.
  12. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    There was no such amp as an Orange before Matamp showed them how to make an amp, which Orange have forgotten about these days but Matamp still do it the right way.
    [​IMG]
    If your Orange has Matamp written on it it's a real deal other than that it's a fake.:bassist:
    Apart from Taystee there are people with the experience to tell the difference:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is my 1968 dual rectifier Matamp 100 lab series, custom built for Rola Celestion's Ipswich test shop, it sounds so good it's always plugged in, in studio for other amps to try to displace, if your own amp truly sounds better we use yours.
    It don't happen much, there always seems to be a track of this old beast in the mix somehow.:):bassist: