1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Match the strings to the bass!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Freez, Aug 28, 2013.

?

Match the strings to the bass!

1. SS HI-BEAMS on the Rick

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. SS HI-BEAMS on the Jazz

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. SS HI-BEAMS on the G&L

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Nickel LO-RIDERS on the Rick

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Nickel LO-RIDERS on the Jazz

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  6. Nickel LO-RIDERS on the G&L

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  7. D'Addario Balanced Tension Nickel on the Rick

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  8. D'Addario Balanced Tension Nickel on the Jazz

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  9. D'Addario Balanced Tension Nickel on the G&L

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Freez

Freez

The players:
    1985 Rickenbacker 4003
    1986 G&L SB-1
    2001 Fender Jazz

The choices:
    DR LO-RIDER Nickel 40-100
    DR HI-BEAM SS 45-105
    D'Addario XL Balanced Tension Nickel 45-107

Trying some new things, and hopefully getting rid of some long held, and possibly incorrect notions about what I want and need from my strings. Windings, cores, wraps and gauges; everything's on the table and nothing is sacred!
    So which string would you pair with which bass? Vote in the pole, and then tell me why. This will be fun!
  2. iiipopes

iiipopes

Balanced tension on the Rick, because that's closest to the OEM strings
    Hi-Beams on the Jazz for the most versatility
    Lo-Riders on the G&L because that combo can take advantage of the edgy tone better.
  3. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

You wanna try new things and everything's on the table but you're only giving yourself 3 string options? The loriders and daddarios are both hex core nickel rounds.
  4. Freez

Freez

Easy killer, I'm not Rockefeller. I'll get to other sets eventually; this what I have on hand now. Anything useful you'd like to contribute?
  5. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

The question was friendlier in my head. I type fast, my apologies. If you're swapping what you have on hand, that makes more sense. All I can say is balanced tension is great, especially on thin jazz necks from my experience.
  6. Freez

Freez

Looking forward to the balanced tension set. Not sure I've ever played a roundcore string either, so the beams will be interesting.