Matching a headstock.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Spent, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

I want to jazz up my Fender Jazz bass with a matching headstock (Not interested in anyone questioning or judging this, it's my bass and I can do what I want with it). Here are my dilemmas.

1) Paint or laminate? I'd really like to use a thin, high gloss laminate. The bass is black. Any experience?

2) Fender logo. I don't want to start a war (my TB research turned up some nasty back and forth comments on decals). This is an authentic Fender, the back of the headstock will retain the serial number, etc. With that out of the way (hopefully), I'd like to put a legitimate Fender logo on the headstock, is there such a thing?

I'm also considering a replacement neck from AllParts (JRO), and no decal, but that's not my first choice. Either way, any experience with this neck and/or AllParts?
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

You can try to get a replacement from Fender, its a pretty drawn out process but its worth a try.
  3. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

It's also more than I want to spend. I'm on vacation and wanted to do it this week.
  4. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

I have the AllParts JRO neck installed on one of my P builds, and I love it. Great quality, and it plays really well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

Cool, thanks. Did you buy it from Allparts or someone else? Buzzard's bass has a great price on them.
  7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I was talking about a replacement decal for your instrument. If you have the correct serial #'s I think they will in some cases like a refinish sell you a correct decal for your instrument.
  8. Spent

Spent Supporting Member

Cool, thanks. Missed that the first time.