Matching head with cab (wattage)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MrBalloonHands, Apr 5, 2014.

1. MrBalloonHands

MrBalloonHands

So currently I play a GK 1001RB-II through a Ampeg SVT-410HE and I'm looking to replace it with the Ashdown MAG 414 4x10 cab. But the Ashdown cab has a power output at 650W at 4ohms while as you know the 1001RB-II has a max output of 700w at 4 ohms. Although I do not come even close to putting the amp at high volume (around 10 o'clock on the Master Volume) , I'm wondering if there will be an issue and possibity of blowing the speakers? Any ideas?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That amp has enough power to turn a 4 Ohm 410 in to ash.

use your ears and what's between them, and you will be fine.

3. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Parenthetically, one doesn't actually talk about of the "output" of a cabinet - only amps actually *output* power, cabinets are rated to be able to *handle* power. But we know what you mean.

To answer your question, yes, you could damage a cabinet rated at 650W with an amp putting out 700W. But in practice, you probably won't, unless you play with a lot of distortion and/or really peg the amp. With a lot of pedal distortion, its even possible to kill speakers that are rated to more than the amp's rated output. Conventional practice is to run with cabinets rated higher than one's amp's power output, but it's not really necessary and it's not a guarantee that you're not going to cook up a speaker. The good news is that, normally, you'll hear the speaker start sounding bad before any permanent damage occurs.

I used to rehearse with a 300W SVT head running into a 100W-rated 212, because the 810 was too much trouble to load in and out. Sounded great, and I did it no harm. Then again, I never had to turn the volume up beyond 9:00 to keep up with the rest of the band.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

As ably posted above, if you are careful you'll be fine. If the system starts to sound bad turn the thing down.

You have to take into account that the "power" of a cabinet is the thermal rating of it's drivers. Typically a driver will run out of excursion somewhere around half of it's thermal rating.

5. Register to disable this ad