Matching levels from pizz to arco

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bill_90125, Feb 17, 2014.

1. bill_90125

bill_90125

I use a Schertler pickup/preamp and an Acoustic Image amp. When I switch from pizz to arco the level of the arco signal is too strong in comparison. Anybody else experience that problem and what is your particular solution for it. Thanks.

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

+1 That's a very common experience, I haven't had to deal with it since I switched to the Ehrlund EAP and Preamp. Which Schertler Pickup are you using, the Stat B or The Dyn B? I don't remembering the older Stat B's having a problem with that, because they're so even.

Ric

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

Ditto. I used to handle it either by modifying my arco technique (only did a minimum of arco anyway) or by adjusting the level. Neither is very satisfying. Pulled out the bow the other night with a big band and was impressed all over again with how the Ehrlund handled it.

4. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Volume pedal or eq stomp box set for arco.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bill_90125

bill_90125

I was afraid the volume pedal solution might be suggested. That's just a bit challenging on some material where it frequently switches back and forth during the piece. It starts to require fancy footwork and fancy fingerwork. I wonder if the compressor on my Roland GT-10B might be of assistance.

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

I'm sure you can handle the footwork with some practice. Lighten up on the bow pressure if can to do it acoustically.

8. neddyrow

neddyrow

I have a radial pre amp and I just turn down the volume knob when I do arco songs. The hard part is remembering to turn it back up when going back to pizz.

9. marchhare37

marchhare37

i use the radial bassbone. plugging into only input 1 lets you switch between the two available channels with a footswitch, so you can adjust gain for arco/pizz separately as well as setting separate EQ for both, if you need.

10. Ric Vice

When we didn't use amplifiers for broadway shows, this wasn't a real problem, acoustically, arco volume is louder than pizzicato, but the difference is not as pronounced. The problem arose when we started using piezo pickups. When you set the volume for pizzicato at a reasonable level, the pickup will magnify the natural difference that occurs between pizzicato and arco. Additionally, all metal strings
    i.e. Spirocore's sound very strident when bowed, so that makes the problem worse. A dual channel pre amp, with a/b switching is one way to solve the problem.

Ric

11. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Playing closer to or over the end of the fingerboard with the edge of the ribbon should soften the tone a bit. I use that trick for those "last few notes", which are the only notes that I bow with the big band.

12. Ric Vice

+1 as long as it's only a few notes, moving the bow works fine. The problem comes with older musicals that switch from arco to pizz, frequently, inside a particular number. That's not as big an issue anymore, because, with a few exceptions, newer shows have moved to EB.

Ric