Matching up a cab with a Tone Hammer 350

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Basso54, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Basso54

Basso54 Supporting Member

Hi all. I got my hands on an Aguilar Tone Hammer 350 this Sunday and LOVED it. I want a smaller cab that is still capable of higher volumes. Think micro stack of doom. But I'm also on a bit of a budget too. Single parent and all. So I've got about $1K in budget with the Tone Hammer to be paid for from that, leaves me somewhere about $500 for a cab. I am wanting portability to drive this purchase. Thanks for the feedback.

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I pair my 500 with a Genz Benz Neox 212t. Great combo!

3. Basso54

Yikes bud, that's a bit over the budget, but a nice cab. Thinking of running my Ampeg SV210AV cab on it for a minute until I find something that fits the bill. Any feedback on Avatar Cabinets?

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Avatar TB153 gets TONS of love around here because of its 3-way design and high-quality drivers. Closer to 600 bucks (NEO version), but well worth it. If that’s too much, Carvins BRX10.2 cab (4 ohms) is a very solid, great sounding 210 cab for around 400 bucks. It’s very clear without being harsh and goes deep and low for 5 stringers.
    The ceramic version of the TB153 is around 530 bucks delivered.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Basso54

Thanks for the input Jeff!!! I'll def be looking into both. Push comes to shove, and I'll probably just use my Ampeg cab for a bit until I can get a monster cabinet to go with it. It's rated up to 200 watts @ 8 ohms, so it should hang in there just fine.

7. elGuti

elGuti

Would it be better to pair the TH350 with a 4 ohm or 8 ohm cab

8. elGuti

elGuti

Would it be better to pair the TH350 with a 2x10 4 ohm or 8 ohm cab

9. havuk

havuk

i'd go with 8 ohm so you can add a second cab if needed.

10. ersheff

ersheff

Yo.
    You should be able to get 2 used Bag End S12, S15, or a combo of one each for around $500.

11. KJung

KJung

It is going to be hard to get a 2 x 112 or 212 cab(s) for that great little head on your budget.

Two solutions IMO for a small rig:

1) Get a good quality 112 cab now, and eventually add another one when you have more cash. For this solution, I'd look for a used Bergantino AE112, or possibly consider a new GK Ne0112II (very reasonable, and quite good). Both have a nice aggressive voicing to bring out the mid complexity of that nice head. A used Aguilar DB112 (with the option of a second down the road) would be killer also with that head.

2) Get a good quality 210, which should give you about 75% of the performance of a 2 x 112 stack, and be loud enough with the TH350 to do moderate volume gigs. A used Bergantino HS or AE 210 would probably be within your budget. The TC RS210 is a VERY nice sounding 210 and would be in your price range new.

I'm loving my TH350 with my Bergantino AE210... tight, punchy, loud, and lots of midrange character. It won't rattle the rafters down low, but slots itself in a mix wonderfully, and is shockingly loud given the 175 watts into 8ohms rating of that head.

IMO!

Edit: The used Bag End suggestion is also a good one. Nice, efficient (if heavy) cabs that work well with the TH heads.

12. speyer

speyer Supporting Member

My vote goes to the RS210.

Fantastic tone in a compact cab that cab be had with incredible value used/new IMO.

I have 3 at the moment... all used in VG shape and purchased here between $325-$400... And it will sound fantastic with your TH350! Guaranteed. Keep in mind, I only suggest the TC first because Berg AE210 is out of your price range at about $600 used ;)

13. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

My Traynor TC112s sound great with my TH350 and move lots of air. They are incredibly light (25lbs), historically durable, and extremely inexpensive ($250-ish). In 2012 I picked up two of these cabinets and a TH350, and had a significant amount of change from my hypothetical $1000 bill.