1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

"math" rock bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by vade700, Dec 23, 2013.

1. vade700

vade700

hey I'd just like to share some audio/video of some bassists in this genre who are in my opinion very talented.

I'd love to see if anyone has any clips/videos/audio of their favorite math rock bassists or even better of your own riffs/songs

anyway here are some of my favorites:

2. pfox14

pfox14

What is "math" rock anyway?

3. vade700

vade700

it's a genre that I dig a lot, I don't really hear much about it on talkbass but I think there are a lot of exceptional bassists within this genre. the base of math rock is the changing of time signatures, there are also certain characteristics that define it as there for most other genres. (Examples: varying time and tempo changes, guitar and bass tapping, frequently very busy drum lines etc)

anyway the point of this thread was to see if there are any other bassists who are into this genre or perhaps share it with some who may not be familiar with it

4. fmoore200

fmoore200

Dillinger Escape Plan is pretty good IMO

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spanndrew

spanndrew

The Dillinger escape plan
    Botch
    This town needs guns
    Minus the bear
    The number 12 looks like you
    (Older) Norma Jean
    Russian circles

I love "math" music. It's fun to try and wrap your head around.

7. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Unless I am mistaken, "math rock" is Prog. Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Dream Theater, etc. Prog is nicknamed math rock because of odd time signatures, frequently changing time signatures, heavy use of Theory, Classical, Jazz (or both) influences, and complex lines, parts, and solos.

At least that's my understanding.

8. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

The terms are blurred. There is far more to prog than simply unconventional meters. Roundabout is in 4, but is it not prog? 21st Century Schizoid Man is in 4 w/ the solo section in 6; hardly unconventional meters.

I wrote a tune on my previous band's last CD with the following construction:

Opening and verse in 4
    Interlude in 6
    Back to verse in 4
    Switch to 7 for "Chorus"
    Guitar solo in 13
    Solo outro in 7
    Back to verse in 4
    Interlude in 6
    Final verse in 4
    This creates a palindromic 4 6 4 7 13 7 4 6 4, which I decided was too contrived, so I tagged an outro in 7. How original. ;)

9. fmoore200

fmoore200

Partially correct IMO. Math rock is an extension of prog rock. Like bebop and smooth jazz are both extensions of the jazz tradition

10. Menno

Menno

11. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Is it me or have there been a lot of math rock threads lately? Anyhow, here's a video of my old band. We called it instrumental prog, but there were definite moments of math-rock and post-rock. This one is probably our "math-iest" tune.

12. Basshappi

Basshappi

Very good, love the tone you get from that Carvin.

I also agree with Menno, Animals As Leaders are fantastic, I've been playing that CD quite a bit lately.

13. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Dillinger, Tesseract, Periphery, AAL...all good stuff, but really it's just Meshuggah-lite :)

14. pfox14

pfox14

As far as great "math" rock bassists go, you can't beat Tony Levin. The guy is an amazing musician and phenomenal bass & stick player.

15. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

As this, and noise rock, are my favorite genres, I'm just gonna clear a few things up.

Math rock is a rhythmically complex, often guitar-based, style of experimental rock and indie rock music that emerged in the late 1980s, influenced by progressive rock bands like King Crimson and 20th century minimalist composers such as Steve Reich. It is characterized by complex, atypical rhythmic structures (including irregular stopping and starting), counterpoint, odd time signatures, angular melodies, and extended, often dissonant, chords.

Some Important Math Rock Bands:
    Don Caballero
    Polvo
    Slint
    Hella
    Piglet
    Nomeansno
    Redneck Manifesto
    Toe
    Battles
    Shellac
    Drive Like Jehu
    Shudder to Think
    June of 44
    Hoover
    Faraquet
    Maserati
    Sleeping People
    No Knife
    90 Day Men
    Adebisi Shank
    Black Pus
    Craw
    Lightning Bolt
    Daughters
    El Ten Eleven
    The Dismemberment Plan
    Fall of Troy
    The F**king Champs
    Giraffes? Giraffes!
    Keelhaul
    Holy F**k
    Ghosts and Vodka
    Minus the Bear
    OXES
    Rumah Sakit
    So Many Dynamos
    Turing Machine

The list goes on...

That's not Math Rock, it's tech metal.

16. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

^aaaah.....Talk Bass....the fine art of semantics, pedantics and splitting hairs :)

I'd never in a million years class NoMeansNo as 'math rock'.

Surprised to see no Jesus Lizard or Converge on your list.

17. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Well, I got tired of typing.
    Honestly, I love love love The Jesus Lizard, but they're not really that mathy.
    And Converge, how to classify the unclassifiable? With the visual art of Jacob, they're like some sort of multi-media art project. They're so incredible.

18. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Honestly, I find the use of seemingly never-ending subgenres to be ridiculous if not totally meaningless. "Tech metal"? Seriously?!? Never heard of it! Really sucks the fun out of listening to music.

19. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

How about Daughters?

20. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Says the guy with a subgenre as his username.

21. cycler

cycler

...and all of it deemed unmusical and unlistenable by women. So why bother.....