Math Rock/ Mathcore/ Post-Rock Bassists Club!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Yakob, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Yakob

Yakob

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I play a lot of math rock...

A lot...

What's funny is that, when I started, I played with the same sense of rhythm I do now, I just wasn't aware of the terminology used to describe it... I only know this because I was listening to a 6th grade recording of me playing a song that went 6/4 -> 4/4 -> 5/4:eek:...

Anyway, this is a club for fans/ players of Math Rock, Mathcore, and Post-Rock... Some sample bands would be Mogwai, Slint, Drive Like Jehu, These Arms Are Snakes, Dillinger Escape Plan, and Botch...

Whose in?
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:
  2. jmercer91

jmercer91

slint made me play bass, i've gotta be in!
  3. Yakob

Yakob

#1 (I'm numero 0)...

I love Slint so much:hyper:.

Hey, we're in the same state:p!
  4. Getaway Driver

Getaway Driver

Love me some Protest the Hero, getting into Dillinger Escape plan. Wrote an 11/16 riff the other day...
  5. Spoonman462

Spoonman462

I play a lot of post-rock/ambient stuff. count me in

also just wanted to say that Dominic Aitchison is incredibly underrated
  6. jmercer91

jmercer91

oh awesome jersey is rad!
  7. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Count me in! Stoked for the new Dillinger album 3/22.
  8. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

yup, check out my band in my sig. older Between the Buried and Me meets Botch is what we sometimes get called. Second that notion on the new Dillinger.
  9. Hoover

Hoover

I'm intrigued by the terms "Math Rock, Mathcore, and Post-Rock" but I won't pretend for an instant that I have a clue what they mean, and I've never heard any music by Mogwai, Slint, Drive Like Jehu, These Arms Are Snakes, Dillinger Escape Plan, and Botch

("So why are you responding to this thread, dickwad?")

But fwiw I loves me some Don Caballero, Drums And Tuba, & A Career In Plastics, and I suspect that those bands might fall under one of those aforementioned categories. Am I right?
  10. ColinGWood

ColinGWood

I think Post Rock is one of the most fascinating yet difficult to discover genres there is. any suggested outlets for finding more great music similiar to Sigur Ros, Mogwai, 65daysofstatic etc?
  11. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

best ways I find bands are to go to the myspace and start clicking through top friends and then their top friends etc..
  12. Getaway Driver

Getaway Driver

http://www.last.fm

Download the player, scrobble a couple tracks of your favorite stuff and turn on recommendation radio. I've found all kind of sweet stuff through that... Mouth of the Architect, Kylesa, Cire, Rishloo...

Or type in a band name... Like Russian Circles, Red Sparrowes, These Arms are Snakes, The Number 12 Looks Like You, or The Locust. You'll be in post-rock nirvana in no-time.
  13. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Don't need a number, and not into "math-rock" per se, but I've written and played more than my share of odd-meter stuff, and I do love it when it's good. I've got a 7/4 funk tune with 3/4||2/4 bridge that we'll be recording soon (and yes, it keeps the dance floor packed).
    Figures that a fellow Cherry Hill-ite (I'm an escapee) would be responsible for this.
  14. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger. Supporting Member

I've seen Mogwai and Sigur Ros mentioned in this thread. I really enjoy both of those bands. Mogwai's Cody is one of the most powerful songs that I've ever heard and I can't even put my finger on why that is.

I'd really like to be in a post-rock band. I don't know what exactly makes a song or band fit into the genre, but I know that I really enjoy the style. That's enough for me. ;)
  15. Lurker79

Lurker79

I'm in please. :cool:
  16. NineSpine

NineSpine

I definitely want in. I live for post-rock.
  17. Yakob

Yakob

HOW DID I FORGET ABOUT THE DON????

Of course you're welcome in the club!

If you like Don Caballero, check out Slint and Mogwai, for sure.
  18. Yakob

Yakob

Getaway Driver: 2
    Spoonman: 3
    Soundchaser: 4
    wetzelman: 5
    lurker: 6
    ninepine: 7
  19. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Another couple bands that need mentioning:

Minus The Bear - featuring one of Botch's former guitarists, this music is nothing like Botch. Rather, it's indie/math rock that combines odd meter and technical playing into a more melodic, pop-aware format. Highly Refined Pirates and They Make Beer Commercials Like This are both great discs, I don't have anything else yet though.

Kayo Dot - I couldn't imagine anything more post-rock. It's barely rock at all.

Exotic Animal Petting Zoo - Kind of sounds like mixing Dillinger, Kayo Dot (the vocal harmonies, mostly), and old-school (good) Incubus. That's the closest I can get so far, anyway.

Intronaut - More post-metal, but still Intronaut's Joe Lester is one of my favorite bassists. Incredible fretless playing by a guy with a bachelor's in performance. He also plays some upright on Void.
  20. PJMiDi

PJMiDi

Count me in, nothin like tryin to keep up with tomas haake's drums from meshuggah...:bassist: Oh and cant forget Rosetta, Pelican, or Cult of Luna either.