Matisyahu

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Dimin, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    As a Jewish bassist, how do you approach playing Matisyahu covers?

2. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

I'm actually more likely to cover Debbie Friedman given that I'm a Shiksa, and my partner is Reform, and neither of us care about rap all that much. I'm better on the 12-string treble guitar, and as a bassist, at this point, I'm pretty much limited to roots, so that would be my aproach to, for instance, Mi Shebeirach.

3. Mike Dimin

Disclosures:
    I am unfamiliar with Debbie Freidman. I'll definitely check her out

4. SturmUndDrang

SturmUndDrang

You know, there's still a chance the mods might decide to re open the Jewish/(Jew-ish) bassists club. I can understand why you're upset about them closing it. The threads you started in response aren't necessarily going to help our case.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

That seems like a very strange question. Should a Jewish bassists approach any music differently from a non-Jewish bassist?

7. Mike Dimin

Disclosures:
    You don't think that I should, huh? Cool. I appreciate the answer. So that raises the question do we need ANY threads here about religious based bass playing? Shouldn't we approach ALL music the same?

Tennesseemick likes this.
  8. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Hopefully no differently than they would approach anything else? How do women approach a Carol Kaye cover?

The reason P&W is discussed is more as a style of music, as well as the dynamic of usually having an appointed "worship leader" and all that can entail, and perhaps to some degree the unique acoustic dynamics of playing in a church, among other things. You obviously have an axe to grind about the mods allowing P&W threads but not your Jewish specific ones. To answer your question though, we definitely should NOT approach all music the same. How I would approach a light jazz engagement at a posh restaurant would be quite different than a Rage Against the Machine cover band gig. You're wording things in a way so as to incite a reaction, which of course you know. I am not familiar with Matisyahu's music at all, but if it were a question of the bassist in that band getting a specific sound or using a unique technique, there are certainly discussions to be had all day long about how he/she is getting those sounds. But my ethnic/religious background or yours wouldn't be relevant to the conversation.

9. Lo-E

Lo-E

That's exactly what I was going to ask. Why wouldn't a Jewish bassist approach it in the exact same manner as a Shiite bassist or a Methodist bassist or a Buddhist bassist? And why would a Jewish bassist approach covering Matisyahu any differently than they would approach covering Run DMC?

10. Mike Dimin

Disclosures:
    NO! not trolling. Reacting to the possible closing of the Jewish Bass Players thread while those over at P&W go WAY BEYOND there talk of playing bass or playing bass in a Worship setting. The Mods let that go while going after other religious type posts. Hints of discrimination to me.

Trolling would be way too simple and REALLY not worth my time

11. Mike Dimin

Disclosures:
    NO! not trolling. Reacting to the possible closing of the Jewish Bass Players thread while those over at P&W go WAY BEYOND their talk of playing bass or playing bass in a Worship setting. The Mods let that go while going after other religious type posts. Hints of discrimination to me.

Trolling would be way too simple and REALLY not worth my time

12. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    I'm not going to accuse you of trolling, but I am really not sure what you're asking here...

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

The same way a gentile would?

14. Mike Dimin

Disclosures:
    I appreciate that

Please read the rest of the thread

15. bass12

That's a good question, I suppose. I guess I could see that if the environment (a church house band, for example) has a specific impact on the musicians or music that it could be worthy of a thread. The music itself? Gospel tends to have a specific kind of flavour, vocabulary and key reference points bass-wise so it makes sense to me to have a gospel thread. I'm not so convinced about other forms of "praise and worship" music where it seems to me the only difference in the actual music is the lyrical content.

16. brownie_bass

brownie_bass [this space for sale, cheap] Supporting Member

Like a Korean-American bassist approaches Dream Theater, but the opposite.

17. Mike Dimin

Disclosures:
    great point. You could state that Gospel is R&B with a change of lyrics, as well

18. bass12

To me there is a difference with most of the gospel I've heard and most R&B (though there is obviously a lot of crossover). The role of bass players in gospel (at least in the Gouché camp), for example, is much more "active" than what you're likely to find in most R&B. Could be there are similar differences with other P&W styles of music that I'm not familiar with though.

19. Mike Dimin

Disclosures:
    JJ was pretty active

20. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

I do see what you're saying with regard to them sometimes going beyond the mechanics of playing the music and getting into religious belief territory. I still think what you're trying to do is a bit different though, as P&W is a little more generic. Heck the case could be made that it includes Jewish P&W situations as well. I guess I'd legitimately want to ask, what would the reaction be to a specific Catholic Bass Player's thread? Atheist? African-American? Gay? Transgender? My thought is none of those would be particularly appropriate as a TB "club", as opposed to a "pre-cbs precision club", or "wedding band bassist" club. In any case yours just comes off as really specific, which maybe TB wants to avoid and certainly has the right to as it's their board.

21. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

As a Goy, would approach it in the same sense I would with Rastafarian reggae bass, given that the heart of the rasta faith is grounded in the belief that you are in fact one of the tribes of Israel.

In the sense that you're usually working in the dancehall realm rather than the roots realm, I'd expect that in a live setting you'd be more focused on vocal cuing and support as well as knowledge of mix patterns and any other riddims he prefers to run over...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.