1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Matrix amplification (power amps)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Nephilymbass, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

So i was looking at gear tours on YouTube and have noticed Nolly from Periphery is using the gt1600fx to power two 610 cabs. I've been searching for the right/perfect power amp to replace the 35lbs swr head I've been using as a power amp for years. I've tried all kinds of stuff from QSC to peavey. Never heard of this company. Anyone here have any of their amps? Opinions. I'd likely go with the 800 and just run it bridged into an 8ohm 410he. I particularly like that the 800 is a single rack space. Let me know what you guys think of them

2. KyL3

KyL3

The Matrix systems aren't there yet as far as I'm concerned. Lets face it Nolly is a guitar player, his rig sounds like a guitar... **** he even uses a 5150 preset on his axe fx. I think your best best bet is a big, bulky, tubed power amp. I hate to say it, but I've tracked with an axe and a lower watt matrix than the one your referring too, and ended up scratching the tracks. To each their own but I couldn't get the tube qualities I really look for in a power section out of it.

3. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

True you can definetly tell he's more of the guitar player playing bass type. I've just never heard of matrix. I noticed the a lot of people using axefx are using them including the bassist for the deftones

4. KyL3

KyL3

I've definitely noticed its prominence with Fractal users. I think mostly because its cost effective and light. Don't get me wrong the combination is more than enough to achieve a killer tone, but I'm a firm believer in real tube power sections.

5. Register to disable this ad