1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Matsumoku + EMG's + natural wood = yum

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hamfistUK, Dec 24, 2013.

1. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

Sorry to those who have already seen this over on BC, but I couldn't resist sharing over here too.

Well, I'll been working on this little beauty for a few days and finally got her finished.
    And what a result. I am thrilled, both with the looks and the tones !

She's a Westone Thunder 1A with twin EMG P pickups (a standard P4 and a 30P4), plus the 3 band EMG BQC control pre-amp.
    I have stripped the finish and re-finned with natural Danish oil and lastly with wax.

I've learned two new skills here. It's my first routing job (done with a Dremel 3000, the Dremel 565 and a 6mm Routing bit). I'm pretty happy with the result. I'll do it even better next time, but it's not really difficult once you have 50 quids worth of the right kit. I'd thoroughly recommend doing this rather than paying even more for a luthier to do a rout for you. They'll probably charge you £100. Get the kit yourself, practice on an old offcut, and you've then got the skills and the kit for life.
    I did it by first pencilling out the outline of the rout, then hand-drilling out with a large wood bit (with my normal big drill) down to a controlled depth of around 2cm, to get the bulk of the wood out.
    THen out comes the Dremel with it's router attachments and with care you can just hand rout it right up to about 0.5mm of the pencil line, down to your required depth (2cm for me). THen finish the edges with a big straight file, to get a nice straight line. THe corners I did with a 3mm router bit, again simply carefully by hand.

Also new for me is an oil finish. Again I'm very happy with it. It's not the most wonderful bit of wood in the world, but then again, it's not too shabby either. And it's a dead easy way to get a nice pro finish. Much less effort than painting that's for sure. It certainly won't be as durable as paint but is so easy to touch up. I'll see how it goes anyway. It won't be that much effort to refinish it again if need be.

As for the tones and playability. She's an absolute delight. Very flexible. Tons of juicy mids to cut through. I am very happy with it. And the sense of achievement at having done this myself really adds to the pleasure of playing.

Lastly, does anyone have any tips for cleaning up the brass bridge ?

OK, now the important bits, ...... pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Looks great- good choice for refinishing: sure brought out the beauty of the woods.
    As far as the brass goes (if it's bare with no coating), Brasso will clean and shine it, but doesn't leave a protective finish to prevent later tarnishing. I don't any suggestions for that.
    How do you like the 30P in the bridge position?
    BTW- is the switch for pre bypass, pickup selection, or other?

3. jessicabass

jessicabass

4. hamfistUK

hamfistUK

I LOVE the 30P4 in the bridge position. It's so much more what I am looking for than any J pickup I have tried there.
    Still rather thin on it's own (IMO), like any Jazz pickup (due to it's position mainly), but adds much more fullness and mids to the blended tone, Less "funky", but more "rocky" if that makes any sense.

And thanks for both your kind comments. I certainly think it looks 100 times more classy than the equivalent natural lacquered finish (of which there are hundreds of these around).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Nice. Please post a video or sound file.