Mavericks - Apogee Duet Issues

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by ctpunk, Feb 3, 2014.

1. ctpunk

ctpunk Supporting Member

I thought I saw a thread on this issue somewhere but a simple search brings up nothing.

Anyone know if theres been a fix for the Apple Mavericks, Apogee interfaces and/or the Fusion Drive issues?

Problem is intermittent hissing and popping and all around not f'n working like it should.

The Apple thread ends on page 9 and does not have any certain fix.
  2. Hellbastard

Hellbastard

3. ctpunk

ctpunk Supporting Member

Yeah I do have the latest driver installed for Mavs but still have issues. I heard the new Mavs update (10.9.2) may or may not be the fix but nobody at the Apple Store can tell me when that is going to be released. Getting impatient here brand new iMac and can't output sound via my Duet.
  4. Hellbastard

Hellbastard

Sorry to hear that.
    I don't have a duet, so I can't confirm if the issue is there.
    Hopefully Apogee will release proper OSX 10.9 drivers soon.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ctpunk

ctpunk Supporting Member

Not just a problem with Apogee. Same problems had with users of different audio interfaces. Still unclear if its a Mavericks issue or an issue with the Fusion Drives.
  7. Hellbastard

Hellbastard

That's odd. I would say it's a driver's issue. I've been running Mavericks since the 2nd Developers Preview and I haven't had any issues with my RME Babyface.
  8. ctpunk

ctpunk Supporting Member

What computer and hard drive setup are you using?
  9. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

As far as Fusion Drives, the easy way to test is to play iTunes or Pandora or YouTube through the Mac's internal sound card (not the Duet) and see if you still get pops/clicks/dropouts. If you do, you're at the mercy of Apple to release a fix. If you don't, read on:

Apogee says the Duet is fully compatible with Mavericks. Perhaps a full de-install and re-install of the Apogee driver software is the first place to start.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/knowle...duet-compatible-with-mac-os-x-mavericks-10-9/

Next, there have been instances where USB 2 interfaces don't like being plugged into USB 3 jacks found on later Macs. Workarounds include using a powered USB 2 hub in one of the USB 3 jacks and then plugging the interface into the hub. Or, if your Mac has Thunderbolt ports, get a Thunderbold to USB hub.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6421
  10. Hellbastard

Hellbastard

Early 2013 MBP 15" Retina
    SSD 250GB
    i7 2,4GHz
    8GB RAM
  11. ctpunk

ctpunk Supporting Member

I am at the mercy of Apple. Ive got the latest updates from Apogee and am having issues with iTunes, YouTube any audio coming out and thru my Duet.

Also Im using a TB to FW connect not USB. Ive since read 10+ pages on the Apple forum regarding this issue and its obvious there are many issues out there. Everyones waiting on the magic fix. Sucks.

My advice to others is DO NOT upgrade to Mavericks, DO NOT get a new Mac as it will already come preloaded with Mavericks, and DO NOT upgrade to these Fusion drives. Basically if its working, don't fix it.
  12. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Cutting edge computers and legacy hardware are always problematic. You could either upgrade to a new TB interface or revert your iMac back to Mountain Lion (and if necessary split & reformat your hard drives, thus eliminating the whole Fusion Drive nonsense) so you can get back to work. I wouldn't hold my breath on Apple releasing a "magic bullet" fix for all legacy hardware conflicts.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23705258#23705258

http://macs.about.com/od/diyguidesprojects/ss/Split-Your-Fusion-Drive-Apart.htm
  13. ctpunk

ctpunk Supporting Member

If I knew any of this would be a guaranteed fix Id probably move forward with it. There were some comments in that thread about people trying the format and I don't think it was a fix all for some. If it gets narrowed down I will def make some changes.

In the meantime what do you guys think Apple would do if I brought this iMac into the genius bar asking them for a fix? Do you think they would go so far as to swap out this Fusion Drive with a NDD or SDD at no charge? Its 2 months old..