1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MAW-Bass explanation

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AndrewsBase, Feb 16, 2014.

1. AndrewsBase

AndrewsBase

Hi,

I often encounter the term “MAW-Bass” but I can't figure out what does it mean exactly.
    Is it style of playing or sound or something else?
    Please give me some explanation?
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've never ever heard this term before. Some people use the term "mwah" to describe the swelling, whining sound you can get with a fretless bass.
  3. AndrewsBase

AndrewsBase

Sorry, I mean - MAW Bass
  4. AndrewsBase

AndrewsBase

Example: A Precision Bass is the classic and will get you "thump" as they say but they can be a little tougher to eke brighter tones out of. But you could def do some serious MAW style basslines with one.
  5. bongomania

Disclosures:
    You're trolling, right?
  6. AndrewsBase

AndrewsBase

Why?
  7. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Where do you often encounter this?
    'cause at least two of us never encounter it...
    Context - use an example. A location would help.

We'll help you but you have to meet us halfway.

Thumpy P-Bass... Does this have anything to do with Motown ?
  8. AndrewsBase

AndrewsBase

Ok--
  9. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

First line of that track's description:

"I love the feeling of deep-house-garage ala Masters At Work"

I get the feeling this was all just a ploy to drive YouTube views, but no matter - there ya go...
  10. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton Gold Supporting Member

Cool playing and yes i have never heard the term MAW (Masters At Work) for this style either, but everything needs an origin and since it is based on Latin and Jazz ideas then it will feature styles and sound of the "masters".

It is old school Jazz funk Latin style to me, so there are many examples to search for latin Jazz, and more over Cuban Jazz for the style.
    Prominent players that i grew up with that would be comparable would be Bernard Edwards (Chick) Verdine White (Earth Wind and Fire) George Anderson (Shakatak) and Paul Denman (Sadè)

They used the elements of it in their music, which if we were to consider them some of the masters then MAW is a good description for this style when applied to House of Acid Jazz.
  11. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Because there was a disconnect between the sense and writing of your first couple of posts, and your third one. Google tells me you just copied text from this GS post: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/8718687-post10.html

Artech is right, a few people are using MAW as short for Masters At Work, which is a guy or guys doing house music remixes. So "MAW bass" is not a thing in the real world except for fans of that particular maker of house remixes.

And all they mean by it is playing any bass in the tone and feel of a house remix.
  12. AndrewsBase

AndrewsBase

13. Tupac

Tupac

Well considering he didn't know what it meant, I think it was appropriate to copy a sentence.

Anyway, mystery solved I guess.