1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Maxwell's bass players

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by spanisheyes, Jan 7, 2013.

1. spanisheyes

spanisheyes

I thought we need a dedicated topic to discuss Maxwell's mind-blowing, amazing bass on his records & live in more details...I have over 500 LPs, half of them are soul & funk and let me tell you the bass playing and tone on Maxwell's record is way up there as some of the best ever. It could be the best modern R&B bass playing ever recorded (James Jamerson is of course the unbeatable template for all R&B/Soul/Pop/Bass)

Funky Ned played some AMAZING funk on the Unplugged EP in 1997, Reggie Hamilton on Embrya with his truly hypnotic bass lines, leading all the other instruments, the best sounding record I have. And I still don't know who plays the bass on Sumthin Sumthin...

Any infos, tabs, trivia, please post it here!:bassist:

glide likes this.
  2. 20db pad

20db pad

Disclosures:
    I used 10" and 15" speakers in the same rig for over 10 years.
    I've heard stories that either "Urban Hang Suite" producer Stuart Matthewman played bass on that cut, or it could have been Maxwell himself. I've never heard a solid answer to the question of who actually did that track either.

NYC bassist Kevin Jenkins did a lot of dates with Maxwell back in the day. He also backed up Taylor Dane, Cyndi Lauper, and Enrique Iglesias and plays with Shemekia Copland now. Great player...

glide likes this.
  3. Highpost

Highpost

Didn't Jonathan maron record with maxwell? I bet pino probably records with him too.

4. wcmackin

wcmackin

Check out Derrick Hodge, Maxwell's current MD/bassist and a killer player!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ebannist

ebannist

I loved the Embyra Album!! Reggie Hamilton's bass playing and groove was timeless and classic. He had just the right lines to fit in the mix.

I heard Reggie came up with the interlude after the song "Matrimony:Maybe You". It was groovy!!

7. spanisheyes

spanisheyes

Arroz Con Pollo...yes it is super funky! What's interesting about Embrya and Reggie is that he also played guitar on the album...And there is some wonderful guitar playing on that...

Reggie's tone on Embrya has not been surpassed yet. Some truly hypnotic playin/sound.