Maybe found a decent Gibson mudbucker replacement?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lunarpollen, Dec 31, 2007.

1. lunarpollen

lunarpollen

It's made by Artec
    The model # is EBC4-CR

http://www.artecsound.com/pickups/pickup30.htm

It certainly looks like a mudbucker.... I'm not sure with how it compares with the stock pickup in my reissue Epiphone Rivoli, but here are the stats:

Features:
    - Cover: Chrome
    - Pole Piece: Adjustable Screw
    - Bobbin: Plastic
    - Cable: 1 Conductor with shield
    - Magnet: Ceramic
    - Output Resistance: 29.7 K

Dimension:
    - 53.5mm x 89.5mm x 32mm
    - Measurements between mounting screw holes: 37.5mm x 74mm
    - Pole spacing(from 1st-4th): 51.5mm

If anyone can offer their opinions I'd be grateful. Isn't the output resistance on the Epiphone reissue humbucker something like 8.0? I'm not sure what the 1960's-vintage Gibson pickups put out. I don't know how output resistance ratings work or what they mean, or what's weaker/stronger, or what's typical.... It is an area I am ignorant about...

2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Early 1970's vintage EB pickup(now installed as a replacement in a very happy fellow's 1960's EB3). Meter is on the "K" ohm scale.

[​IMG]

HUGE readings due to a zillion miles of wire wrapped on 'em.

3. lunarpollen

lunarpollen

So I'm guessing 29.7 K is a comparable happy reading??

Or am I just drunk?

4. teej

teej

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lunarpollen

lunarpollen

My guess is that the one that Bass Parts Resource sells is the same one that AllParts sells

http://www.allparts.com/store/pickups-bass-pickups-pu-0416-010,Product.asp

...which I heard is the same as the stock reissue Epiphone pickup

The Artec pickup is being sold on eBay as "Artec Custom Hot 4 String Bass Pickup 30K Ohms Chrome" and for $21.99 + $9.00 shipping. I think I'm gonna purchase one right now. It can't be any worse than the stock pickup, which is horribly microphonic and very weak...

7. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I forget how much it cost, but I put a DiMarzio Model One in my Rivoli. BIG improvement. Very punchy & warm.

8. elgranluis

elgranluis

I had a bouple of Ebo's a while ago. I kept playing with the idea that the mudbucker was big enough that I could probably fit a mustang or p bass pickup right underneath the crome cover, making it look stock. I did put a guitar humbucker in there while experimenting, but I sold my eb's (all three 3 of them!) before I could actually buy the mustang pup and continue with the experiment.

9. lunarpollen

lunarpollen

If they made them in chrome I'd consider putting one in. I just really don't like the graphite brick look.

10. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

:eek::eek:

There ARE many of us here with what's called CHROMITIS.

We will avoid the dark side and even replace black or plastic with shiny metal. I've had the disease for decades since owning a 1969 Honda that got extensive CHROME work done to the engine parts.

CHROME: It's what's for PUNCH!

Back on topic:
    That would be a healthy reading.
    Are you still DURNKED from last night?

With a reading like that and a price like that it's making me want to turn the SX P/J into a Billy Sheehan mobile(that means put an EB pickup in a Fender-ish bass near the neck).

THANKS.
    After looking at those, at least one is going to live in south Texas for a while.
    Might have to get another SX to whittle on though 'cause the white P/J here is too purty.

11. lunarpollen

lunarpollen

Haha yes chrome is a holy substance; I wish it was more commonplace nowadays

I really hope this pickup will be the old-school monster it appears to be

P.S. I'm not drunk anymore, but very hungover right now, so I'm going to go to the only real old-school diner around here and get something fried with gravy. Probably breaded pork loin.

12. A9X

A9X

29k7 and 31k8 are within a few percent. They are both etremely overwound pickups and will likely sound similat.

Most BG pickups are in the sub 10k bracket.

13. 2_tone

2_tone

Do any of you know where i can get the chrome cover for a mudbuck? I've got the allparts pickup, but i can't find the cover and they don't sell them.

14. lunarpollen

lunarpollen

If the pickup I ordered on eBay comes with a cover, I'll send you the one from my old one

15. 2_tone

2_tone

Sweet. let me know when you get it.

16. 2hip2b4real

2hip2b4real

I emailed Artec to see weather it's an exact replacement or if it's designed to sound different than the OEM PU. I notice that they make the same model with AINiCo5 magnets.

17. lunarpollen

lunarpollen

Judging from the output resistance numbers they give for the different pickups, it looks like this is a special hot version of the pickup. It definitely looks different underneath compared with the stock pickup in my Rivoli...

18. contrabassie

contrabassie

Keep us informed about the Artec pickup. I'm also looking for a nice replacement in a rivoli bass.

19. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

I had a '72 EB-2, and then around the same time I found a New Old Stock Mudbucker in a music store. It must have been slightly newer because it was a bit clearer sounding.

I put the NOS pickup in my Ric at the neck position, but it was still way muddy, so I rewound the coils to 5K (I actually unwound them), so the whole thing is 10K in series. Then I hooked it up to 4 conductor cabling and added two more ceramic magnets.

It retained the basic tone of the pickup, but was brighter with a more open top end, sort of like a P bass.

The Mudbucer is essentially the same design as a Ripper pickup, just with a ton of wire wound of it to make it very bassy.

So rewinding them is an option.

20. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

For me the ideal would be a single coil like the "Original" EB basses had ...

Here is a photo of Jack Bruce at the Cream reunion in 2005 playing a newer (circa 1968) EB-1 with the older "Non Mudbucker" retro fitted into it.

[​IMG]

Being a big JB fan I wanted a bass with that kinda look but a 34" scale and some other updates ... in the end I just had one made.

[​IMG]

The Dark Star is a great pickup and a single coil design like the original brown Gibson, but NOT an exact fit. Anyone seen or heard of a single coil that is an exact re-fit? I have a new Epiphone EB-3 and would like to replace the stock pickup and retain the look and do it cheaper than the DS at $200.00 each

:) ... Might consider the Allparts/Artec pickup version too.

21. GlennW

GlennW