Mayones Jabba Superjazz 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicman20, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Musicman20

Musicman20

Has anyone got any views on these rather stunning looking basses?

They seem rare but the specs are excellent.

2. Mayo Fan

Mayo Fan

What do you wanna know? They're excellent basses if you ask me. The quality is superb and if you're looking for a jazz that is more consistent and has more variety in tones than a 7ender, a Jabba could be just what you're looking for. They can easily be compared to Sadowsky, Lull etc. but a Mayones is way more affordable. With 30 years of experience those guys really know how a guitar is build. They have a lot of unique features and finishes and customization is no problem too.

I own a Comodous Custom myself, but I played a lot of Jabba's as well and a nice Aged Silver Jabba 4 is the first thing on my wishlist!

3. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

4. Musicman20

Musicman20

They do have some nice basses. I'm a little concerned about how much they weigh, and whether they have the 'classic' Jazz tone as well as their own.

Great price in the UK. Very tempted!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mayo Fan

Mayo Fan

7. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

I've been looking at the Jabba fivers. It looks like the older ones have Delano pickups and a Noll preamp while the newer ones have Seymour Duncan Basslines and... I'm not sure which preamp. (I'm talking about the J/J configurations -- there's also an H/H, but I haven't seen as many of those around, and am not sure what to expect sonically from them.)

Any impressions as to how the Delano-equipped and Duncan equipped versions compare?

Are either of these pups true single coils or are they hum-cancelling split coils or some variation?

I've also looked (online) at a used Lull, and wonder how these would compare in terms of quality, playing comfort, etc.

Thanks for any informed opinions!
    -Mark

8. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

I've got a Jabba and love it. Current models are coming with a Gregory preamp (Mayones pre) and Duncan true single coil pickups. You can order one with Delano JMVC pickups.

With the Duncan single coils you can get awesome traditional Jazz tones but you must deal with the hum of course. Sounds awesome though.

I switched out the pre and pickups on mine. Now I have a Audere 6Z preamp and Delano JC5HE pickups. Can cop traditional to modern an super thick with this combo. The necks are awesome. Overall they are heavy though but balance very well. They look gorgeous and certainly on par with Sadowsky, Lull etc. I like the body shape an headstock of the Mayones.

Here's mine.

[​IMG]

9. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    I´ll play them on Saturday next week at bassday here in Madrid. But out of my experience from last year bass day they are very very goof basses and look stunning. Really worth it.
    It would be on my list if it wasn´t for Adamovic basses.

10. IanA

IanA Supporting Member

Nice looking basses and decent tone, as previously stated a little heavy. Worth considering Sandberg as well in that price range

11. Mayo Fan

Mayo Fan

It's just different electronics, the woods and other stuff are the same. Noll was never a standard as far as I know. In 2011 they switched from Delano's to Basslines as standard pickups. Most people found the Delano's too modern for their taste and ordered one with Basslines. So they listened to the costumers, Basslines it is.
    The preamp they use as standard is an in-house developed preamp (2xVolume, 1xTre/Bass (stack), 1xPassiveTone, 1xActive/Passive miniswitch*). When you order one you can either go with the standard specs or pick youre own pickups, preamp and knob layout. The price will oviously increase when you pick more expensive stuff, but any dealer can get you an inquiry.

I think they're amazing! Totally even and delicious sounds, pretty high on my wishlist. ;)

12. scubaduba

I realize I'm going out on a limb here... But my Mayones is better than any Fender I've played. :D

13. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    OOHH NOOOooo oo o!

14. Mayo Fan

Mayo Fan

I'm going with scubaduba, IMO no true vintage or brand new Fender has ever felt and sounded as good to my hands and ears as a Jabba.... :D

15. awesomesawyer

awesomesawyer

the english bass magazine did a review on it a couple issues ago, and i think you can find the review on their website.

16. scubaduba

Do you have a link?