MB 500 Fusion cooling fan noise?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tbirdsp, Apr 14, 2014.

1. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Just picked up a used MB500 Fusion from the TB classifieds. Seems to work great - however I was not prepared for how loud the fan is. Won't be an issue for live gigs, but I was expecting it to be quieter. Is this normal? The fan on my MB200 rarely (if ever) comes on, but of course it doesn't have 3 tubes heating it up either...

2. happyg

happyg

I will probably get flamed for this......but from my personal experience with 2 of them....they have loud fans. Bought one...ended utvl returning it. Bought another one a year later....same thing. So, you don't have anything to worry about. Really quite a good head. The fan just got on my nerves when I would practice alone in a quiet room.

3. mudpup

mudpup

Yup, fan is a bit whirry when it kicks in.
    But the amp sounds great so what the hell..........

4. vin*tone

vin*tone

Yup. Unfortunately it was a deal breaker for me. I used it for quiet practice and rehearsals - I just found it too distracting when it kicked in.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tbirdsp

OK - thanks guys! It's not THAT big of a deal for me, just wanted to make sure it was "normal".

Was hoping for something quieter than my old Harke 3500 head and/or my rack rig with a Behringer NU3000 though - both have notoriously loud fans :meh:

(I do have a quieter fan for the 3500, just haven't installed it yet- and it weighs 25 lbs vs 4 for the MB Fusion).

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I think you'll find the fan runs more when you're not using it.
    Playing, it seems to kick on infrequently.

I'm not "fan sensitive," so it's never bothered me

SpruceApple likes this.
  8. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

Late to the thread, I know - I received a new MB 500 fusion 2 days ago and have "put it through its paces", so to speak. I, too, own an MB200...and the 500 fan is the same in that it rarely has come on, and is polite when it does so. Perhaps they have made an adjustment? (Edit: loving the tubey goodness from this thing...and I own an Alembic F1-X) :)
    By contrast, I purchased a TC Electronics BH 250-208 last month from GC. It sounded ok in the noisy, (very noisy,) GC at the time, but when I got it home, the fan on the back was blasting full on from the second the power went on. I took that back the next day.

9. tbirdsp

Haven't been posting much - been busy gigging:bassist: But yeah, as chef mentioned it seems to come on more when it's just sitting there rather than in use although you wouldn't hear it while you are playing anyway. Fan has been a non-issue in real world use. MB500 Fusion into my Avatar B212 Neo has become my go-to rig.