MB Big Block 750 vs MB-Pulse 600

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pshep68, Feb 10, 2014.

1. pshep68

pshep68

Both of these amps on sale for same price at my local music store? Both are in rhino cases. Anyone have any experience with these amps? What are your thoughts?
  2. KJung

KJung

Owned both back in the day:

BB750... relatively low wattage until you get it to 2ohms... mid present, grindy, growly, grunty. Very 'rock' voiced, with lots of overdrive capability.

MP600..... wide, clean, bloomy, creamy. It will overdrive, but that is not its thing. Very deep bass, relaxed mids, clean but organic top end. Nice 'clean tube' emulation. Massive EQ.

Very different heads in almost every way.
  3. pshep68

pshep68

I've been using Ampeg since I started playing 11 years ago. I assumed, based on the tube compliment, that the BB750 would be natural replacement however, based on your description it would be the M-Pulse 600 eh?
  4. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

What cabs are you going to be running and what is your overall tone goal? I loved my M-Pulse while I had it but never could get it sounding very gritty. It was a killer amp with a really versatile EQ section. I've never played the BB750 but a lot of hard rock/metal guys love them for their overdrive section.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pshep68

pshep68

I am looking for a warm full sound. I am using an Ampeg 610HLF cab.
  7. pshep68

pshep68

Is there anyone else that can offer an opinion or insight?
  8. vin*tone

vin*tone

Nailed it there.

I have no experience with the BB so can't offer my thoughts on a comparison. The MP has a great DI, EQ and compressor. The footswitch is useful if you're into switching tones on the fly. A second volume can be used as a mute.

Have you plugged into both?
  9. pshep68

pshep68

Can anyone explain why the M-Pulse 600 sounds (based on the description above) like it has the higher tube compliment, when in fact the BB 750 has more tubes?
  10. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    M-Pulse is a cool ass amp. I owned one for a while but ended up selling to re-purchase my holy grail (Bass 400). It had a big round low end that is kind of hard to dial out, that's part of its voice. It will sound good with your Ampeg cab but even better through a slightly brighter/more revealing Mesa cab. You can get amazing sounds for just about anything, but not the 400/400+ voice (hehe). I love the compressor on the M-Pulse, best onboard I've come across.
  11. Crabby

Crabby

I have owned both and liked them both a lot although they are quite different. The Big Block is big, fat and growly and even if you never use the overdrive, it has a nice punchy rock tone baked in. Its not a quick responding amp like a Carbine or a GK. Its closer to the Walkabout in that the notes have time to bloom a bit at louder volumes.

The Mpulse600 is a much cleaner amp but not to be confused with modern or sterile sounding. Its still a slower, fat tone but without the same growl or breakup as the Big Block. It has more power at 8 and 4 ohms then the BB but will not do 2 ohms like the BB was designed for. Its a great amp but maybe a bit more refined sounding.

If I had to choose, I preferred the Big Block as I liked the simple controls and the single semi para mid control. I found the huge eq on the Mpulse a bit overkill and generally didnt need it at all. Both great amps in the end.
  12. DenisLM

DenisLM

I have the BB750 and I'm just smiles.
    Also agreed with most of the opinions of BB750 needs at least 4ohms to "worth" the weight.
    I use with two PH112 and sounds awesome. clean with strong tube feeling. overdrive can be almost a fuzzy if you want.
    You need to like a little bit the dirt sound to like this amp.

One time I plugged two PH112 and one berg HT112 at same time.... OMG! so much goodness. And I'm still looking for a third PH112.. :p (the berg is gone...)
  13. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

I have a BB750
    simple straightforward amp -I love the tone. great OD channel. I run at 4 ohms with 2 12 cabs and it roars.
    but then again-its a win/win with mesa. hard to go wrong.
  14. KJung

KJung

Number of tubes means nothing, and quite frankly, in some ways, tubes don't really correlate with a particular tone in most cases. Much more going on in a preamp than 'number of tubes', or even 'tubes versus solid state'.

It is all about distortion levels/voicing built into the pre, overdrive capability, and other voicing components like hi passing and baked in voicing.

IMO and IME.
  15. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Graphic Designer, Zon Guitars
    For what it's worth, I've never had my BB750 loaded any lower than 4 ohms, and I haven't been able to get it past 10 o'clock without getting the stink eye.

And I'm talking REALLY loud outdoor/4500 capacity gigs.
  16. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

the BB has a gorgeous overdrive channel which is part of its charm.
    I personally like the simplicity of an amp like the BB-plug in and go.
  17. Crabby

Crabby

Love this amp! Paired with my 215, she is a monster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

They're both fantastic amps with very different voices - you really should go and play through each one for a while to figure out which you like best. The M-Pulse 600 is my favourite, and I'll echo what KJung said about it having a 'clean tube' sound - I had my Ashdown ABM and my friend's MP sounding identical, if that helps at all. The BB is probably a better option if you're after grit. Don't worry about numbers of tubes, as that really doesn't tell you much apart from the number of tubes each amp has in it :)