1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MB Fusion + NEO 112 opinions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Cpnraisnuts, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Cpnraisnuts

Cpnraisnuts

If any of you have run this set up can I get your opinions? I will be playing it with my MIM P-Bass with bass lines pups. I play a lot of slap, fingers style funk and am currently trying to learn jazz. I'm not in a band at this time. How does the tone sound? Is it loud enough to keep up with a rock trio? Anything else you can add would be helpful. I wanted to add a 410 but due to funds it will have to wait.

Thanks in advance.

BTW I don't understand all the specs, but I'm looking around here on the forums to figure out the technical side of things.

Steve
  2. Cpnraisnuts

Cpnraisnuts

Also, when I can afford another cab, if a added another NEO 112 would having two 112s be the same as running a 212? Would I be Albert to use the fusion at full wattage?
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

With one cab you should be good for a trio. Adding a second 112 will be the same as a 212. If it was me though I would get a 212 as a second cab (not a 410). With the 112 and 212 you would have three different sound pressure level choices!
  4. ljazz

ljazz Supporting Member

Can't speak for the mbfusion..... while the one I've played around with was okay, I find the rb series to be a bit more "hefty" tonally. Love the neo112's though! As B-String suggests, adding a 212 with the 112 adds a bunch of versatility. However, I'm finding that playing 2x112's can pretty much cover all but huge stages (and for those, I can break out the 212 to use with one of the 112's).
  5. basslyon

basslyon

Disclosures:
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    The MB Fusion to me was a bit of a let down... quite noisey and dull. The fusion 550 is awesome and the MB500/800 is killer. I've got the MB212 combo and i can't speak highly enough of it. Light weight, punchy, loud, clear and stupidly cheapy for the quality. I love it. Remember if you're not running a RB series head you may as well get the MBE cab because the MB heads don't biamp.

my 2cents has been given
  6. factorplayer

factorplayer

MB fusion is my main gigging / rehearsal amp. I use it with one or two Berg AE112. I've found even just one 112 cab is fine with a rock trio when we practice, though I use both for live gigs. Great for all around rock tone and can get overdrive with the gain up plus switchable channels is handy.
  7. Cpnraisnuts

Cpnraisnuts

Thanks for the input guys! Now if my order would just show up...
  8. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

I think the mb fusion is a excellent amp. I ran it with two Neo 112's and I couldn't get a sound I liked. I also had a 700rb-ii that I could not dial in either. IMO GK makes some great amps. I am not sold on the cabs. I will say that the two 112's were real easy to set up and transport. Good luck.
  9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Yep. I briefly owned a pair of GK Neo112-IIs a couple years ago. For whatever reason I just couldn't bond with them, so I ended up flipping 'em soon thereafter.

But I still have an MB500 & an MB800, both of which are just superb amps, IMHO. As is my 700RB-II... :cool:

MM
  10. Cpnraisnuts

Cpnraisnuts

Due to my not being in a band currently, and my limited funds I'm going with the MB Fusion + nEO 112. I figure the Fusion will give me a bit more versatility tonally, and I can always add another 112 or 212 or whatever if I like the sound of the NEO cabs. If not, I won't be in to deep monetarily if I decide to switch it up.
  11. B-string

Give the NEO cab at least 20 hours of playing time to break in before you decide anything.;)
  12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Is there a matching self powered 212 for the 112?
  13. Cpnraisnuts

Cpnraisnuts

My wife gave me boost to my "toy" allowance! Looks like I'll be picking up the MB Fusion with a NEO 212. 😃
  14. B-string

15. Cpnraisnuts

Cpnraisnuts

Thanks! I can't wait to hear it! Thanks for all the input as well.
  16. B-string

No trouble. Remember the cab will deepen, sweeten after about 15-20 normal use hours. That is going to be one sweet rig!
  17. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Nice.

Don't blow it up if you hook up with rowdy rockers!

It's bigger than a 2x10 but not so big as 2x15. If you're up against a stupid loud 4x12 tube powered guitard be mindful that you can't keep giving it more of the loud knob, your amp is way too gutsy.

After you break it in but before you get in harms way give it the raspberry. Find out how much volume the cab can do before it farts out. Turn down the lows a little and go again, you will get more volume. Do this with a fresh battery. If you add effects do it again.

You need to know how far you can twist the loud knob and wail on the bass without harm. In the heat of a rowdy jam you may not be able to hear the cab crying for mercy.
  18. Cpnraisnuts

Cpnraisnuts

I got it! This thing is great!

Attached Files:

19. B-string

Oh yeah baby!
  20. Cpnraisnuts

Cpnraisnuts

Any suggestions on eq settings for this? I like the sound but in the manual for the mb500 there are some sample settings to get started. The layout of the fusion is a bit different. Not sure how to set it for the gk growl I keep reading about, or how to use the contour or filter switch. I noticed the mb500 has a Boost knob where the mbfusion doesn't. I'm a bit confused with my new toy. :)