MB210 Combo vs. MB500 Head

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mcnaughb, Dec 20, 2012.

1. mcnaughb

mcnaughb Supporting Member

I just picked up a used GK MB210 combo and a GK MB500 head. I thought these had very similar output, but the MB210 is no where near as loud as the MB500 through an 8 ohm 2x10 cabinet.

Did I pick up a lemon MB210? Or are these amps dissimilar enough that I would notice the difference in output levels?

Thanks.
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Not all 2x10's are the same, and generally speaking, the spkr cab portion of a combo amp is usually smaller, which is the big compromise when using combo amps.
  3. goran

goran

Are you comparing your MB210 combo with extension 8ohm cab to MB500 with the same cab? If yes, and the first combination is too quiet, then the plugs in your speakon connector on either combo or cab are wired backwards, resulting with speakers in your combo and extension cab being out of phase. A lot of users on talkbass complained about this, a simple search will reveal it.
  4. mcnaughb

mcnaughb Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies.

I was using the internal speakers on the combo and an external 2x10 mini cabinet on the mb500.

The combo is master at all the way up and gain at 12. With the 500, master at 3 and gain just barely at 9 and it is way louder. I wouldn't think a small cabinet would make that much difference, but who knows...

Other than that, the combo sounds great, just very weak in comparison to the 500.

I thought these were pretty much the same amp. Maybe not?
  5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

They are the same amp. Maybe describe the 2 rigs carefully, including ALL connections, and what's plugged in where. Your OP is a bit confusing.
  6. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy

My MB210 with volume all the way up and gain at 9 o'clock is wall-shakingly loud. Might be something wrong with yours, but you're talking relative. Don't know how it compares to a 500 with a cab; but it is easily (loud) gig-volume at those settings.

7. wilfredes

wilfredes

Maybe describe the 2 rigs carefully, including ALL connections, and what's plugged in where.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]