1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

McCartney's Hofners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by garya, Feb 10, 2014.

1. garya

garya

Were the two original Hofner basses that Paul McCartney owns both be short scale 30"? I just read some info about how he bought one and then got another as a gift from Hofner in 1963 and that he later did some custom work on the 1962 model with different pickups and I think a new sunburst paint job. The Wiki also spoke about his 1961 Hofner, as well as George's Gretsch, being stolen from Abbey Road Studios. While I am at it, has anyone ever replaced the tuners on a Hofner with new ones that are better? If so, which brand and was there any extra work involved with mounting them? Also, new pickups or a new bridge?
  2. mongo2

mongo2

The Hofner 500/1 has a 30" scale.
  3. gary m

gary m

Never had problems with my Hofner's tuners, pickups or bridge, so swapping them out has never crossed my mind. There are a few Hofner clones out there with different tuners and pickups from Epiphone and Rogue, if you're interested.
  4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Selmer (Hofner's UK Distributor) presented McCartney with a special 500/1 that they had Hofner manufacture for the occasion. The only thing unique about it was that it had gold plated hardware. Although he accepted it as a gift, he never played it. Last month it sold at auction for $210k USD.

The 61 Cavern 500/1 (his original) was the bass that he had refinished with a sunburst finish on the top. It was stolen shortly after the Revolution video was shot in the fall of 1968.

As mongo2 indicated in his post above, all Hofner 500/1 bass are 30" short scale basses.

TD
  5. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Hey Thornton. You mean his 61 Hofner 500/1 Cavern right? :)
  6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Sorry, that was a typo.

TD
  7. garya

garya

thanx guys.