Me-50b or tech21 programmable bass driver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Dec 23, 2013.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

For worship music, do you think the Boss ME-50B is better suited for it or a pedalboard with multiple effect pedals including the Tech21 Sansamp Programmable bass driver on it?

2. shenanigans

shenanigans

These are in many ways not comparable items. The sansamp is an amp simulator that can double as a distortion pedal, and the Boss is an effects processor that has no amp modeling. If you can see yourself using delays, modulation, octave, filter or wah (basically going funky or going ambient) the ME-50b might be better for you. If you just want amp tones or overdrive, get the Sans Amp.

FWIW I don't recommend the Boss for a multi. IMO it is out of date tech that has been passed over a few times since its release. ZoomB3, Zoom MS60b, and Line6 M series are all serious upgrades from Boss, IMO

3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

+ 1 on all this. Plus, the SansAmp has a direct output. Solid pedal.

4. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Well I have a Christmas concert coming up and there will be a few other people playing bass for their respective worship bands and I don't want my settings all messed up. Should I ask the sound guy if I could DI my bass and have it have its own channel and stuff?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. shenanigans

shenanigans

I'm not really sure I understand your question. Do you mean that a bunch of other bands are sharing the same backline? If this is what you are concerned about than having your own DI straight to the board with your own EQ preset is an great idea. Sansamp products are EXCELLENT for this.

Otherwise I don't understand your question.

7. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

That's exactly what I meant. There are other bands which means we have to share amps and I hate doing that so I rather have my own channel via DI. Sorry I think I rambled on without asking the question directly

8. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

I play in church settings too...the Sansamp programmable is the more useful of the two. Even better would be the Zoom B3 or the Tech 21 VT bass Di, or The VT deluxe.
    I use a pedal board with a Zoom MS60b and a Tech21 VT bass version 2 into a Zoom b21.u (for the di). I have all I need.

9. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I don't like our sound techs tbh. They seem to half-ass everything. Especially for bass they seem to ignore us

10. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

That is why a Preamp di is better than a regular di. Because you send them a post eq signal. If your sound engineers are really incompetent, then your best bet would be a p-bass into a VT pedal with fairly flat settings on the eq...it's more difficult for them to mess up the bass mix that way. The more extreme your settings, or effects, the more likely they will be fiddling with knobs.

By the way, I play in a lot of different church settings. There are a variety of provided amps (sometimes in ear monitor only), and the sound engineers range from excellent/very experienced, to the hearing-impaired 80 year old that is only there because he is the only one that can find the power button. I found out by trial and error that the best way to find consistency with my tone was to provide everything I want pre-di, that's how I started my pedal board.

11. Vcell

Vcell

I can't speak for the ME-50B, or multiple pedals. I worship in a couple of different size rooms and in the large auditorium I run a passive bass > bass compressor > Tech21 BDDI > FOH. In the smaller room I replace the Tech21 with an MXR M-80. I'm lucky to have 1st rate top notch sound techs, so the tone, both live and recorded is excellent.

12. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Should I look into the MXR M-80? I hate using amps in general anyways...unless I absolutely have to

13. Vcell

Vcell

I like the M-80 because the eq is three band instead of two, and it has a distortion drive if you want it, and a gate. I use the distortion drive with the blend all the way dry. That adds just a bit of bite. Anyway, my 2 cents.

14. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

The VT bass also has a 3 band eq. But I set mine flat and use my Zoom MS60b as a programmable eq, along with it's other effects.

Actually, for that matter, the MS60b has an MXR m80 model that's very much like the real thing; and it has an SVT model that really covers most of what the VT can do too...so you could just get that and a passive DI box and do well enough.

15. tuba_samurai

tuba_samurai Yamaha BB Club #123 Supporting Member

I currently use the boss me-50b with a Schecter Ultra VI and through a generic DI. We run traditional to contemporary in worship so the ability to have several presets for clean, distortion, and such is nice. However 90% of the time this $300 processor is a volume pedal.

I plan to switch to a Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI, a PJ 5 string, and maybe a volume and chorus pedal.

I just don't need the me-50 but it was nice to have a multi effect to see what sounds I like without buying individual pedals.

16. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Individual pedals suck only because I don't have a pedalboard to mount them on...otherwise I think it'd be better for me.