1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

measurement to install jazz bass bridge from scratch?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dropbass, Dec 26, 2013.

1. dropbass

dropbass

body is routed for pups wondering the measurements for the spacing from pup rout to bridge so i can mark and drill the screw holes any lead or links? thanks
  2. JustForSport

JustForSport

The bridge must be measured from the body side of the nut-
    scale length: nut to G string saddle contact point.
    Leave longer intonation length for the heavier strings.
    Then pups can be placed from there.
  3. dropbass

dropbass

The rout is there already just need how far from pup rout to bridge
  4. Steveaux

Steveaux

It's not that simple.

Jazz bridge pickups are known to be routed in various positions (distances from the bridge).

Mount the neck and measure 34" from the fretboard side of the nut slot, or 17" from the crown of the 12th fret. This will give you a reference location.
  5. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Read about scale length before you build an instrument. It won't play in tune if you don't measure the scale like the other guys said here. Scale length determines where bridge is placed and THEN where pickups are placed. Not the way you're doing it: backwards.
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yup...

- georgestrings
  7. dropbass

dropbass

I think we are Overcomplicating things....Maybe I wasn't clear. The body has been factory cnc routed to fender specs it is a pre routed wd jazz body there are just not pre drilled bridge holes. Just need the distance from the edge of rout to the edge of the fender bridge.....then ill center and drill holes. If I was a bit low or high it would not matter unless i was waaaasy low or high Don't most bridges have intonation adjustments?
  8. dropbass

dropbass

Hence" from scratch" with pre measured and routed pup cav ..i just figured there would be a standard numbet I can totally just hold it up to my other jazzes and fudge a measurement that's close enough for hand grenades
  9. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

The other posters are correct maybe you need to hear it one more time: measure from the nut after reading up on it. Dont fudge it and hope you are close enough. If you are a little bit off you might not be able to intonate. Put the neck on and measure. Have any pics?
  10. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

Not all Fender Jazz basses have the bridge pup in the same place.

You need to ignore the bridge pup route and use the info others have given here. Yes, the bridge will adjust for intonation, but if you're too short or long, you'll run into a problem.
  11. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Wind your g saddle, toward the neck, until the intonation screw is showing 3 or 4 threads still sticking out. Measure from the nut to the G saddle, 34". Mark the position of the bridge saddle on tape on the body for reference. Align. Install.
  12. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

18" from the 12th fret to the screw holes for the bridge.
  13. JustForSport

JustForSport

Not all bridges have holes in the same place-
    Nut to G saddle (scale length) or 12th fret to G saddle (1/2 scale length) is the best locating method.
  14. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    OP: You're not listening to instructions on how to do this the right way, and keep asking about how to do it wrong.
  15. peterkidd

peterkidd Supporting Member

On my Jazz, the space between the bridge pickup route and the start of the bridge plate is 1 11/16". I don't believe that figure is a constant. I have guesstimated bridge placements in the past and have a few extra speed-holes to prove it.
  16. dropbass

dropbass

Consistent with my other two and the precision... thank you. Super easy peasy
  17. dropbass

dropbass

Well these are made on a cnc from a reputable company I'd trust that they would be consistent so I dont see that it cannot be done that way as well ...
  18. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Ha ha ha.

Do whatever you want. Anyone care to take bets on when the inevitable, " I can't get the intonation right, help!", thread'll show up?
  19. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

QFT
  20. dropbass

dropbass

Asking for help not your two cents... why don't you get the fact that if you were to go to the wall at guitar center and start changing necks on all usa and mexican fenders of the same type you woud not have to measure and 're drill all the bridges? Huh that's news