Measuring Jazz bass pickup height

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by the low one, Feb 15, 2014.

1. the low one

the low one

The Fender web site says to measure the pickup height on a Jazz bass you depress the string at the last fret and then measure approximately 2.8 mm from the top of the pickup pole piece to the bottom of the string. On a Jazz bass this means that due to the angle of the depressed string the neck pickup will be lower than the bridge pickup. Is this correct? Due to the extra vibration of the string further from the bridge should the neck pickup be slightly lower than the bridge pickup?

I know these measurements are only a starting point but it's good to get the starting point right and take it from there.

Edit. Sorry just done another search and found all I need so please ignore this post

2. pfox14

pfox14

Depressing the string at the 1st fret shouldn't change the string height relative to the pups more than .5-1mm, so the difference in pup height is almost nothing. Like you said, pup height according to Fender is a good starting point, but your ear will tell you the rest.

3. rfslick

rfslick

Good thread. Thank you.

4. the low one

the low one

On my fretless jazz the neck pickup is about 1.25 mm lower than the bridge pickup when the strings are not depressed at all. With the string depressed at the last fret they are level.

5. Register to disable this ad