MEC 9v active 3-band preamp vs Aguilar OBP-3TK/PP?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thecovel, Dec 7, 2012.

1. thecovel

thecovel

Hello everyone I'm proud to be part of this great forum, as far as I can see there are many expert and this is the reason of my question.

The fact of the matter is that I have two offers, first the Aguilar OBP-3TK/PP and a Warwick MEC 9v active 3-band preamp that came out of a 2004 Warwick Thumb 6. I've heard great things of both but I'm not sure which to choose. the aguilar costs 149 dollar new and the mec is 180 used.

Thank you

2. DaniKettu

DaniKettu

I would go with the aggy. Mainly because it is a great preamp. But also the price of the used mec is imo a bit too pricy. You can get new and better preamp cheaper. Just my 2 cents.

3. Modern Growl

Modern Growl Supporting Member

IMO the Nordstrand 3-Band is everything the Aguilar is (because they based if off of it) but better! More transparent and the boost/cut isn't so EXTREME like the Aguilar is.

Basically the same EQ points, but for refined and transparent. Not as extreme. One little touch of the bass boost on the Aguilar and BAM! your blowing your speakers (not really, but it truly is an extremely touch sensitive boost).

The Nordstrand is much more granular

4. thecovel

thecovel

Hello thank you but is Warwick MEC 9v 3-band bass preamp no Nordstrand.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

I put a audere classic in my thumb. I love it. Best pre I've ever used. I love my wicks but I despise the Mec pre's.

7. Modern Growl

yes, and I'm saying decline both and get the Nordstrand.

If you MUST pick between the two - go Aguilar. MEC is junk IMO.

8. thecovel

thecovel

ok now I understand, thank you very much

9. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

MEC preamps are NOT junk, those preamp are perfectly designed for Warwick Basses, actually, once i tried to install an Aguilar OBP-3 on my Streamer Jazzman, and the bass lost its soul, its own character, i had to put the MEC pre back! What is the bass you'd put the pre in?

10. Modern Growl

different strokes.

The 3-Band is "okay"... but nothing like a Nordstrand preamp. But don't get me started on the 2-Band. 2k treble center is all I gotta say.... :rollno: