1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

MEC Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AndrewM, Feb 11, 2013.

1. AndrewM

AndrewM

I play a Warwick Corvette $$, and I absolutely love the tone it gives. It has 2 MEC humbucker pickups, for those who aren't familiar with this bass. I was just curious as to why more basses aren't seen with MEC pickups. They sound pretty incredible to me, so it seems odd that Warwick is the only brand I can think of that uses them :cool:
  2. El-Bob

El-Bob

I think there are some other European brands that use them, but they're wicked expensive here in North America. I know what you mean about them sounding great though, I've got a German Streamer $$ myself. Same electronics as your 'vette, and they sound excellent.
  3. fenderphil

fenderphil

I put some passive MEC pups in a jazz bass I have.

There's a lot of tone in those pickups. I found them to be better suited in a rock/hifi setting as opposed to a bluesy vintage band.

I got a screaming deal on them so I can't complain about price, lol
  4. AndrewM

AndrewM

I would agree with that. Very punchy, bright tone. Not so great for smooth mellow jazz, IMO. Wonderful for slapping though :D
  5. truecanadian04

truecanadian04

I also play a Warwick Corvette $$ and I love the MEC pickups. They are very punchy. The perfect bass!