1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

MEC Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AndrewM, Feb 11, 2013.

1. AndrewM

AndrewM

I play a Warwick Corvette $$, and I absolutely love the tone it gives. It has 2 MEC humbucker pickups, for those who aren't familiar with this bass. I was just curious as to why more basses aren't seen with MEC pickups. They sound pretty incredible to me, so it seems odd that Warwick is the only brand I can think of that uses them :cool:

2. El-Bob

El-Bob

I think there are some other European brands that use them, but they're wicked expensive here in North America. I know what you mean about them sounding great though, I've got a German Streamer $$ myself. Same electronics as your 'vette, and they sound excellent.

3. fenderphil

fenderphil

I put some passive MEC pups in a jazz bass I have.

There's a lot of tone in those pickups. I found them to be better suited in a rock/hifi setting as opposed to a bluesy vintage band.

I got a screaming deal on them so I can't complain about price, lol

4. AndrewM

AndrewM

I would agree with that. Very punchy, bright tone. Not so great for smooth mellow jazz, IMO. Wonderful for slapping though :D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. truecanadian04

truecanadian04

I also play a Warwick Corvette $$ and I love the MEC pickups. They are very punchy. The perfect bass!