MEC question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ian Wade, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Ian Wade

Ian Wade

Hey all,
    Let me know if this sounds familiar. I play a 5 string Wawick Corvette std, with MEC J pickups. I love it to death. Usually, I blend both pickups. For a warmer p bass, "Jamerson" tone, i pan to the neck pickup. For a burpier, j bass/"jaco" tone, the bridge pickup does the trick, BUT, I lose almost all of my low end. Has anyone else experienced this? Are MEC's generally low output?
    Thanks,
    Ian
  2. MatrikzDaClown

MatrikzDaClown

Wish I could help you, but I was hoping to find some info on this myself. I'm in the middle of research for future construction on "my" bass. I've basically been modeling what I'm building from some of the Warwick basics. Including some woods and the pickups, and I've been looking into the MEC because of the tones that it gives the Warwicks. Currently I play through a SDGR with EMG pickups, and they are ok, but it's either all bottom, or all clanky highs. There is no "mid" middle/medium to these pickups. I want a good even blended sound between low's, mids and highs, as I tend to play all over the fretboard on every string. Please someone help with this, because I don't want to loose all my low's by going to this, and don't have a problem spending more money for something with a more equal sound, but from what I understand, these pickups sound the best to my ears. That being said, it's only based off playing them in guitar shops. So PLEASE HELP FELLOW BASS MASTERS!!!