1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mechanics?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DWBass, Nov 26, 2012.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima in need of replacement ignition coil modules. Can this be done on the cheap? Got a shop quoting me $1100! No way in hell!

2. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

3. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

The three front coils are simple to change, the rears not quite as easy. You may have to pop the upper intake off to get to the rear ones.

Word to the wise- change the spark plugs while you're there.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

I would buy the Nissan plugs ....aftermarket are NOT the same ....I
    learned the hard way ,just my opinion,try aftermarket and see how it goes ,,,may run good for 6months and then slowly go to crap

At least go iridium

7. Mike N

OE for that car would be either NGK or Nippondenso and that's exactly what I'd put back in, too.

8. dieselbass

dieselbass

assuming they diagnosed it correctly. Would be an expensive mistake. Rock auto has treated me well.

9. Mike N

Coil failures are rather common on that car. There was a service bulletin out years ago for updated coil packs.

10. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    You mean I can go to Nissan and have them replace under recall??

11. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

No, it's not a recall. Just a service bulletin. Which basically means "yes this is a real problem with this car, but we're too cheap to issue a recall."

12. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I had them change the plugs as I thought that was the problem. Got the car back and it was running even worse. took it back and they changed the 'bad coil'. Got it back. Not as bad but I'm still getting misfires. They did a ED and all the codes came back as ignition coils and an OS senser and one other sensor that was totally missing. Can't remember what it was. Have to look at the paperwork.

13. dieselbass

dieselbass

hope they get it right for you. Odd they missed a missing piece. Also odd they gave it back to you not running correctly. I would have a conversation with somebody over that.

14. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

$1100 is nuts. I did it for my Mazda. Although it's a 4-cylinder and I didn't have to remove the intake manifold, it was extremely easy to do. And, I would also recommend changing the spark plugs and spark plug wires along with the ignition coil modules. You may want to have a new intake manifold gasket just in case. I don't know, I've never worked on a Nissan.

15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

There's only one on my little Nissan. It cost about $100US to get it replaced with a new one. $1100 sounds way steep.

16. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

there's six on the Nissan ,,,but on an older car I wouldn't hesitate going aftermarket vs oem...

1A auto is $150 for all six.

I had a window motor fail on my Toyota Avalon.$500 from Toyota ,$69 from 1A and still working two years later. Furl pump for Chevy blazer oem$400,1A auto $100 still working 18 months later.......

17. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    How fast does 1A ship? Will probably order everything in one shot.

18. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    They didn't miss it. They looked for it. It just wasn't there. But it seems to be a part of the ignition system.Something called a Manifold Absolute Press Sensor.

19. Mike N

They let it go running worse then when it came in? Now they want to fling more parts at it? Sounds like someone is using a diagnostic shotgun instead of his brain to figure out your car.

20. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

1a had it to me to me in two days from ordering ,I'm in southwestern Indiana ...they are east coast?

21. dieselbass

dieselbass

yeah, she'd be a little confused setting fuel trim lacking 02 and the MAPS. Never heard of 1A. I get personal parts through Rock Auto. 4 vehicles here and 180 at work keep it interesting. Hope she runs great when all is installed.