Med/psych term for unnatural aversion?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassteban, Feb 1, 2013.

1. bassteban

bassteban

I don't mean a phobia, but rather a strong dislike for something that is not necessarily painful, unhealthy or otherwise detrimental in one way or the other; just something that you just can't be in the same room with. My youngest daughter likes to crunch ice- I know this can be dangerous for dental work, likely teeth as well if we're talking huge chunks, but she just likes to crunch on crushed ice- I dont think its gonna crack a tooth. AFAIK, it's water, therefore good for her- but the noise, although not excessively loud, just BUGS me. I have to leave the room. I don't tell her this, I don't want to hurt her tiny feelings. I am also bothered by the sound my wife makes chomping on chips- in HER case I think she does it w/her mouth partially open, which I think is a bit rude but I am in NO position to point that finger, but again- I have to leave the room.

Is there a name for this *condition*? I'm pretty sure there's a pill for it, complete w/dangerous and unpredictable side effects...
  2. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

Well, considering it's you I have plenty of terms but none that would help :D

:bag:
  3. bassteban

bassteban

Aw, thanks for caring. :)
  4. Gazman

Gazman

Misophonia?

People who have misophonia are most commonly annoyed, or even enraged, by such ordinary sounds as other people clipping their nails, brushing teeth, eating, breathing, sniffing, talking, sneezing, yawning, walking, chewing gum, snoring, whistling or coughing; certain consonants; or repetitive sounds. Intense anxiety and avoidant behavior may develop, which can lead to decreased socialization. Some people may feel the compulsion to mimic what they hear.

Courtesy of Drs Google, and Wikipedia!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Banned

You can count on me, I'm always here.

Always.

:ninja:
  7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I cracked most of my molars years ago.

I have a mouthful of gold crowns now. I can chew friggin rocks with impunity now! Better, stronger, faster than I was before!

Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah........
  8. bassteban

bassteban

Interesting. I don't think I have it THAT bad, but last night when wifey started mackin chips, I darted out so quick I ran into a 2x10 cab I'd forgotten in the next(darkened)room. Went down.
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Apparently you only have to worry when you start mackin on imaginary chips.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    We are two hearts beating as one! I have to move away from anyone chewing ice. I detest it. With the mouth open? I might just go apoplectic.

I would suggest you have your daughter go to the doctor and have her iron level checked. Chewing ice is sometimes a symptom of low iron. Someone close to me kept doing it and I bitched about it - she went to the doctor, who said she was anemic. After a few days of iron supplements, the urge to chew ice was gone. Seriously, check it out. The problem doesn't exist anymore for me.
  11. bassteban

bassteban

Munji, it's my daughter chewing ice- wife chomps chips. I will mention the iron thing. She's a very picky eater, so ANY nutritional deficiency would not surprise me.
  12. oniman7

oniman7

I was going to say the same thing as Munji. If I recall correctly, it's part of a condition called Pica. My girlfriend chews ice as well as chewing on chalk. Likely something she's missing with her unstable vegetarian diet.

I can't stand the sound of people biting popsicles. Ice I can handle. The crunch is OK. But the sound a popsicle specifically makes drives me crazy.
  13. bassteban

bassteban

Popsicle- yeah, I know that sound. It's funny- I realize I am sometimes easily annoyed, but I can't justify the way the chewing bothers me. Hence the term *unnatural*.. although Im wondering if most people feel the same way about some odd thing that others do.
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm not a very good reader.
  15. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

I suggest they both get checked for all vitamin and mineral levels.

One thing I've learned is that when you get your lab results back from the doctor, don't be satisfied with being in the "normal range". What the docs can't tell is the optimal level for your body. Get a copy for your records and do some research on WebMD or other health site to find out more about each one.

I've raised every vitamin and mineral level (without going over the limit) and it's changed my life. More energy, better memory, improved concentration, calmer, just better over thinking processes and haven't been sick for 3 years. All the good stuff I've purchased is available online.

Maybe find a new doctor if this one is not interested in your vitamin/mineral levels and increasing them to help you. Some docs are satisfied that you're in the "normal range" regardless of what your symptoms are. They don't listen! They treat you by the numbers only.

Good luck.
  16. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

I think you hit the perfect word in your subject line... "aversion".
  17. champbassist

champbassist

I would be very surprised if this was a named 'condition'. I am irked massively by certain very simple, harmless sounds as well. I can't believe there aren't more people who are thus irritated by commonplace sounds.
  18. Exxcell

Exxcell

I too have to leave at the sound of chewing or smacking.

I think it's pretty bad. I was in the car with my dad and he started crunching on something and I had to stick my head out the window a little bit to cancel the noise out before I started going insane. It kinda sucks.
  19. bassteban

bassteban

The wife is very diet-conscious, and not just the typical female/I'm fat thing; we both are what I call *backslidding health Nazis* :D
    We do little red meat, preservatives, artificial colors, etc; lots of fruit, veggies, some fish, etc. Daughter likes pizza... :rolleyes:
    Our doctor is excellent- a very sweet, old-world and motherly Latina, she knows her stuff AND cares- she calls us each *miha*(sp?)

Anyway, I will look into the younglings nutritional dealio. The wife is fine, just unaware maybe. :ninja:
  20. Steve

Steve

If you were Jewish, you would be a noisenik.
  21. ArtGuy9516

ArtGuy9516

A person with Pica eats non food items such as dirt, fingernails, hair, paint, etc. for at least one month. While ice was included in a list of these non-food items from a National Institute of Health posting I scanned.

To the OP:

what about your response to the noise do perceive to be an "unatural aversion?" It "sounds" based on your post that you dislike the noise...nuff said. Why "pathologize" something or feel that there is something wrong with you if the noise "bugs" you?