Medium Scale Fenders/Squiers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Monster Truck, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

So I've been GASing pretty bad for a 32" scale Fender (or Squier) Precision for some time now. I see them pop up on ebay occasionally and they usually sell for about $500-$600). I often wonder if some ebay sellers have these basses listed not knowing it's a medium scale, therefore not including the scale length in the description. So I have a few questions:

Is there any way to tell if a Fender bass is medium scale just from looking at a picture?

Were they all made in Japan?

Is the Stu Hamm Urge comparable?

Anyone got one they wanna sell?

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

There is a MN TB member that has a non-export 32" scale Aerodyne that I have played ... VERY nice bass ... but unfortunately, you wont touch one of them for less than about 2x what you mentioned ...

... I usually always see it mentioned when they are mid (32") scale ads ... some may slip by, but most will be well aware of what they have I would think to get the full value...

3. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

It may sound crazy at first, but it may be an idea to check the Ishibashi music site. The Yen has lost some ground on the dollar as of late. I poked around just now and saw a 62 jazz model, medium scale with 3 tone sb finish for around $685. Even with shipping, you would still be getting a bass for hundreds less than an American standard, of which none are offered in medium scale.
    As for the Urge, I have one, and it's a very good bass. I have never tried one of the Mexican versions, but those are the ones I see on Ebay popping up for around $4-500 from time to time.

4. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

You and me both. I got bit by the bug in 2010. Finally scored a Squier P in the classifieds last year. I still have yet to play it (much delayed gratification!) because I asked the seller to ship it to JohnK for a makeover. I think he's finally going to call it finished this week. :hyper:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LarryCrabtree

LarryCrabtree Supporting Member

I have both the P and J Fenders in medium scale. Yes they are only made in Japan by Fender. But Warmouth does all the parts for the medium scale here in the US and I have heard they are pretty good. They are hard to tell from a picture. Along with the necks being shorter the bodies are scaled down to match. One way you can tell is that there are less frets on a medium than on a full scale.
    Most from Japan are $1K or more even shipped from Japan unless you get a used one. Both of mine are from the mid 80's which was the height of the MIJ level.
    Hope you have luck finding one. Sometimes they come up here on TB and they are usually more reasonable here.

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Larry, all the 32" scale Fenders that I have seen were all 20 fret necks, same as my 34" ...

8. Batmensch

Batmensch

Have you looked into the newer Squier Telecaster basses?

9. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

Yeah I have, but I'd really like a 1.5" nut width. Also there may be a neck dive issue with the Telecaster.

10. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

Indeed, my 32" Urge has 24 frets.

Checking back to the Fender Japan site, it looks like the only model they are putting out right now is the 62 jazz. No medium P's.

11. Immigrant

Immigrant

There's a freak selling a medium scale Fender in the classifieds right now, for a really good price!

Oh. It's one of those much hated Reverse Jaguars. Oops. Sorry.

:bag: