1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Meet a musical dooshbag!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ironbar, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

For those who's work computers block craigslist:

" You know little to nothing about music. (AllYall)
    I am sorry to inform you of your caged existence. I honor your genuine belief that you are a musician; yet nearly all of you are parrots emulating their keeper. Your keeper is those who feed you; what you consume you become. A musician understands more than emulation and regurgitation of what has already been heard. A musician studies the science of harmony and melody in the context of rhythm to express something new. A musician knows the music of the spheres. A musician knows how to take a listener from point A to point B. A musician understands what elements of music effect the human psyche. Few of you can describe the wonder of harmonic theory; much less spell a dominant chord in classical or Jazz theory. Music is bigger than all of us, and I don't claim to know it all. Yet I observe most of you know little to nothing and you could do better. "

3. steamthief

steamthief

I wish I knew the music of the spheres. I am now uncontrollably weeping.

4. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Technically it is true......100 years ago, but in today's world what he claims simply isn't true. Music is no longer a hoity toity profession, displayed only to the rich, it is something to be enjoyed, performed and experienced by everyone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Doosh misused the word "effect". Doosh should have used "affect" here:

"A musician understands what elements of music [DEL]effect[/DEL] the human psyche."

Effect vs. Affect quiz

7. jaypee

jaypee

^

Man 9 out of 11 correct!

Wow! I'm not a total Doosh!;)

8. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

That is great. I want to be in his band.

I have to admit that when I saw the thread title, I immediately thought of someone else: Austin legend, Romeo Rose.

9. Ironbar

Ironbar

I was always under the impression that a musician was a person who played a musical instrument. I think I would take my own definition one step further in that a musician is someone who plays a musical instrument and has fun doing it no matter what their skill level happens to be!

10. tubenutq5

tubenutq5 Supporting Member

Typical of uber-intrellectualized, progressive Portlandia.

11. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

Know this is about The Doosh, but I wanted to comment on this guy. He reminds me of a regular poster on this forum! At 1st I didn't like Romeo with the jewelry, shirt, and "penis guitar." After listening to him, his motivation to be like Andy Kaufman ("A woman's place is to clean house, cook, and OBEY") by "pissing people off" for fun, I got to like and respect him. Maybe the same thing will happen with the TB poster! Sorry for the hijack, no on 2nd thought, I enjoyed pissing whoever off too!(might get to like this).

12. azureblue

azureblue

When I went off to college to study music, my bass teacher asked me one question, "do you want to be a bass player or a musician?" I replied, "musician" and he got a grin on his face, "right answer." So, along with his teaching me bass stuff and improv, he was also teaching me how to work it, get my head out of my instrument, and pay attention to how what I was doing affected the rest of the group.

I have played with guys who can do little more than copy what they heard from someone else or learned it off a recording. These guys have a single trait - they play their instrument in a vacuum. That is, they are unaware of what the other people are playing, how what they are playing contributes to the song, and how the listener will respond to what they play. "Parrots" is a term I use for them, too. Wankers is apt, too. Ignorance of music is no excuse- even the person generally credited for being one of the founders of jazz and jazz improv, - Louis Armstrong, had a music education.

A musician is not a person who plays an instrument. A person who plays an instrument is a player - bass player, guitar player, etc. A musician is aware of what he or she is doing within the context of the song and understands what everyone else is doing, knows how to respond to that and knows how to relate it all to a listener. Especially us bass players. We should always know what the other people are playing and singing, for it is our primary job to give them rock solid support, and make them sound good, even if we are reading down a chart. And that requires musicianship.

13. Rocker949

Rocker949

I noticed that mistake immediately. Maybe he isn't quite so bright as he thinks. Thanks for the Effect vs Affect quiz. I got all of them correct.

14. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Music of the Spheres

15. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Thanks for sharing that my teacher said the same exact thing and anyone I teach I ask the same question. Did you learn from a dude with a pony tail named Greg worth asking. That man started me on my musical journey.

16. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Why do I get the impression that he's one of those guys with the "I'd rather be reading Bukowski" bumper stickers on his 1990 Toyota next to the Misfits decal. ;)

17. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    I'm guessing that playing in a vacuum must suck.

And that maybe you can't play the music of the spheres using flatwounds?

18. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Okay, that made me nearly spit my coffee.

19. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Funny - I took guitar lessons from a guy named Greg with a pony tail - he had worked with and toured with Steve Miller for years. Great guy, taught me a lot.

20. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

"Music of the spheres" is a line from a Rush tune, The Analog Kid (Signals).

The guy is a highbrow Rush-head...

21. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Eh, maybe it was just posted in the wrong section on Craigslist.

Kinda looks like it might belong in casual encounters under db4db...

:bag: