1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Meet Polish Music!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sucka, Nov 24, 2012.

1. sucka

sucka

Well hello ladies and gentlemen from talkbass!
    I'm from Poland and I want to show you our music. There are many people from many countries in this forum-society so I just want to spread my musical-patriotic feelings to you all.
    We have many bands, many of them are truly precious.
    So every day I will post here a Youtube link to a song played by another polish band or bands playing music from this or that kind of genre. It'll be all genres - metal, jazz, funk, rap, punk etc etc.
    I hope everyone will find something interesting and entertaining here. Btw I apologize for possible mistakes in my english.

Okay, first band I want to introduce you to is a band called "Czerwone Gitary". This means "Red Guitars". They are playing pure, oldschool rock 'n' roll music since 60's (but nowadays most of the original members are gone). In the 60's and 70's they were huge huge stars in Poland. We call them "polish Beatles" (just look at them and listen to this tune - you'll know why). This song is called "Nie zadzieraj nosa" and that means "Do not be offended". This clip is from 1967-1968 I think. Check 'em out, comment, like or dislike.
    Here they come, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aewsm4EJ-8

2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

That's really cool.
    Gotta love the cute Polish girl!
    What are the singing about?
    Were bands allowed to play music like that back in the '60's under communist rule?
    I always heard that rock & roll was frowned upon then.

3. sucka

sucka

They are singing about having fun. They are singing something like "Don't be offended, have fun with us, tomorrow we'll be gone, you'll stay here, If you want to forget about your problems this is the best way to do it, SING with us!" :)
    And about rocknroll under communist rule - This is a long story. I even wrote my bachelor thesis about that! :D Basicly - polish bands played rock and roll but they changed the name of the genre to "bigbeat". It was because communists would not allow to play "western evil music". So they just changed the name to bigbeat and rocked the **** out of communist asses :D
    Other awesome polish bands playing bigbeat are:

Skaldowie
    song: Medytacje wiejskiego listonosza (meditations of country-side postman)

4. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Keep them coming!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

7. sucka

sucka

Okay, here, a couple more songs from the bands I mentioned:

Czerwone Gitary (Red Guitars)
    song: Nikt na swiecie nie wie (Nobody in this world knows [that I'm in love with Eve])

That's all for today in polish 60's rocknroll genre folks.
    Tomorrow I'll show you... POLISH METAL! \m/
    Peace!

EDIT:
    hdracer I doubt it's the same bassplayer. This one in the video was Michał (Michael) Muzolf and he played only on first record with the band Breakout. Later as I know, he emmigrated to Holand I think. The bass he's playing here is Burns & Shadows bass.

8. Rebop

Rebop

So cool.
    Thank you for sharing!

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Cool stuff, thanks! One thing that I hate about America is that nobody bothers to listen to anything that isn't in English over here, and we miss out on lots of great music. I lived in Germany for a year and scooped up all the CDs I could by German bands.

PS would it be out of line for me to comment on all the beautiful Polish girls in these videos? I remember my sophomore year in college, there was a Polish girl living across the hall in my dorm... man did I go nuts thinking about her... must be something in the water over there. Better stop posting before I get in trouble with the wife...

10. sucka

sucka

Man comment as much as you like on Polish girls!
    This is very nice to read :)
    And yeah, our girls are very pretty, naturally pretty. And I guarantee you'll see many more beautiful Polish girls in this thread in music videos ;)

Thank you guys for kind words. I'll be sharing polish music here as much as I can so you can check out all of our awesome bands AND girls :)

11. sucka

sucka

I just can't wait to share another genre with you so I'll do one more today.
    METAL!

OKAY. READ THIS BEFORE LOOKING AT THE LINKS.

There are many Polish metal bands, some of them are typically underground, some of them are famous in Poland. The most famous Polish metal band, and personally my favorite metal band is Acid Drinkers. The band's name in polish means "guys who drink cheap alcohol". We call cheap booze, wine and other alcohol "acid" in Poland.

The leader of the band - bassplayer and vocalist Tomasz Pukacki aka Titus (he earned this nickname because he can do a very funny impersonation of a monkey from polish comic books called Titus) is a kind of "polish metal icon". He's really funny and inteligent, he plays bass mostly fingerstyle (white 4-stringed Spector since 1992 to this day) and his singing style is more like rapping. He's got a funny accent when he's singing in English but that's just one of those things which make Acid Drinkers so cool and recognizable.
    At the beginning of their career they played raw, speed thrash metal. Nowadays they play something more like "classic" heavy metal. They rock hard but they often do some stuff for fun like covering Frank Sinatra song the metal way :cool:

Okay so here they are!

Early stuff from 1991 polish rock music festival in Jarocin. Thrashy!

Next band is called Illusion.
    They played a mix of metal, grunge, hard rock and many other genres, but definitely heavy sounding one!

song: Nóż (Knife)

ENJOY!
    Tomorrow I'll give you... FUNK! :cool:

12. zakwas

zakwas

Why waiting till tomorrow?

Check out Łąki Łan it's a polish funk-disco band

Here you can here "english" lyrics - Bartek Królik (here he's playing guitar, but he's kickass bassist) made up words that sounds like English to us, but don't make any sense

Also, I'm recently into Dead Snow Monster:

It's female trio, they are young band, little known even in Poland, but they do crazy things and are worth to listen to.

P.S.: excuse me for any grammar mistakes, enjoy the music! :cool:

13. Jack-Jack

Jack-Jack

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa!

Guys, I have to put my thought in here, as I am also from Poland.

Here you go, my favourite bass solo from Breakout bass player, Jerzy Goleniowski:

Mayallish, isn't it?

14. Paka

Paka

my favorite SBB composition.

15. Basstard79

Basstard79

Hi folks, so nice to be back after a 3+ year hiatus and see my Polish friends here ;)

There's sooo much fantastic music in Poland and it's definitely woth sharing.

My fav Polish artist is Lech Janerka - a lead singer, bassist, composer and lyricist. An amazing personality.

He started off in early 80s with a sort-of New Wave/Post-Punk band Klaus Mitffoch:

(the last video comes from one of his gigs - he starts off with a Furch acoustic guitar in his hands and plays a song from his last album called "Plagiaty" ("Plagiarisms") and then grabs his bass to play some of his oldest stuff... fantastic)

16. sledz

sledz

17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I usually have a hard time listening to music if I don't understand the words. The bands that the OP is listing were obviously influenced by many of the same bands that influenced American musicians during the British invasion. Nice to see that music knows no boundaries. This is some great stuff and I plan on checking out more of it.

+1 On the Polish girls.

18. jondog

jondog

Cool! Subscribed

19. BuffaloBass

BuffaloBass Supporting Member

Whoa!Whoa!Whoa! Stop the horses! Polish music here in Buffalo NY, means well , you know Polish music aka polkas.....ommpah four four time stuff....

I cant even bear to hear the funk as so far BREAKOUT is a total mind blower...... POOOF!:cool:

20. BuffaloBass

BuffaloBass Supporting Member

Kmonk, check out the Virgin Snatch, the monster voice ( which my ears have a hard time with in any language), covers all.

And btw in any language, " They are singing about having fun. They are singing something like "Don't be offended, have fun with us, tomorrow we'll be gone, you'll stay here, If you want to forget about your problems this is the best way to do it, SING with us!" .... is a message of pure raw FUNK! Borne of struggle but at the point of being freed!

Here I thought it was almost purely American, borne of our experience with slavery yet written at the point of freedom of the soul...yet I stand enlightened ... again. IT is a universal.....in any language.... freedom of the soul is our goal. :bassist:

And for some, uh, less than virginal Polish girls riding in a old Ford Vic, ya gotta check out Love Shack by the Acid Drinkers! Oh my. On a Sunday am no less! :D

21. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

I'm diggin' some of those harmonies. Groovy