Meisner

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by krustwell, Feb 28, 2014.

1. krustwell

krustwell

I'm watching The History Of The Eagles. While I've always been a big fan of their music, I'm a little embarrassed to admit my ignorance as to who was in the band during the recording of their albums. In particular, I always assumed Timothy B. Schmidt was "the guy". Silly me! It turns out he played on all my least favorite Eagles songs and Randy Meisner has been placed on my mantle of influencers. And dude could sing, too.

If you haven't watched the documentary yet, you should check it out. Really cool to see them in their 20's knocking out the hits.
  2. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

The Eagles sucked the least when Meisner was in the band:bag:
  3. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I'm not an Eagles fan by any stretch of the imagination -- in fact, I think it's pretty safe to say that I REALLY DON'T LIKE THE EAGLES AT ALL -- and yet I got totally sucked in watching that film. Fascinating in-depth look at the history of an iconic band, in the context of what was going on in the music business throughout their career. Highly recommended.
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman Not a Clique Member Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've never understood the number of people who just openly HATE this band. They were some of the most amazingly talented singers, songwriters and instrumentalists of our time, and they had some really great songs.

I think they got a little to "ear friendly" at times, and rockers dislike that about them. Some of their hits are a little, oh, generic sounding.

But the albums "Desperado" and the much despised "Hotel California" have some of the best singing and playing of any records ever made. I'm a huge Eagles fan, and put them right up there with the biggest legends of rock and roll.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. elgecko

elgecko

Right? I was completely shocked by the results of the "Do you own The Eagles - Their Greatest Hits (1971 - 1975)" thread. I understand that they're a bit too "easy listening" for some but I was surprised by the extent.
  7. Wagz

Wagz

'nuff said :bag:
  8. krustwell

krustwell

So many hits. As a fan of vocal harmony and good guitar work, what's not to like?
  9. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Hilarious!
    Touche.
  10. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Gram Parsons called the Eagles "a plastic dry-f#@k." That pretty much nails it for me, but YMMV.
  11. JimK

JimK

Radio overplays "Lying Eyes" & "Peaceful Easy Feeling"...in HS, my band played "Outlaw Man" & "On The Border"...not played enough on Radio.
    ;)

12. krustwell

krustwell

If Parsons had spent a little more time taking notes on how to write songs (from the Eagles) and a little less time shooting up, he might have been more successful. And less dead.
  13. oboylebass

oboylebass

"Hotel California" (the track) should be required learning for all bass players. Just an amazing bassline!
  14. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    Ouch.
  15. blue4

blue4

I like the Eagles for the most part, but not much after Walsh and the new Eagles joined. Not for any resistance to the new members, just didn't care for the songs much outside of the hits. Those first couple of albums had no duds on them.

I admit that I cant listen to them at all for about 3weeks after I listen to Frey or Henley speak.
  16. mellowinman

Media:
    Albums:
    I just don't get what the issue is with Frey or Henley. Both guys were instrumental in shaping the band from just being a band to being one of the most successful bands of all time. Both guys wrote the best songs of the band. And both guys had their share of bad behavior, but I'm not seeing where it was any worse than any of the others, or any of the big rock stars of their era.

As much as I love the original lineup; as much as I enjoy Randy Meisner, Timothy B Schmidt was a fantastic addition, and the albums Hotel California and even the Long Run have some really great songs.

Henley and Frey's "The Last Resort" is one of the most heartfelt, emotional and poignant songs I've ever heard by anybody; "Wasted Time" is also impressive; "Those Shoes," and "Teenage Jail" are really good rock songs; I mean, for my money, the Eagles never did a bad album.
  17. Lot lizard

Lot lizard

Wow. I'm getting old
  18. krustwell

krustwell

Ha, yeah I know what you mean. Henley annoys me less than Frey.
  19. blue4

blue4

Listening to Henley talk about writing "Get over it" because he was tired of listening to people whine, despite whining for decades about taxes, band members, the weather, etc was my first clue he was an a$$hat. But he's a great songwriter no doubt. And I certainly don't have anything against Timothy Schmidt or Walsh. I just prefer the first 2 albums.
  20. leemelone

leemelone

Just to be clear, Randy Meisner played and sang on all five of the Eagles albums in the 70's up to and including Hotel California. The only album he didn't play on before they broke up in 1980 was The Long Run. Mr Schmit (there's no D) is a fine singer and musician but is nowhere near the talent Meisner was.
  21. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

...And the "i" comes after the "m"... ;) I think both of them are very talented.