1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mel Gibson's accent

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mr. Sound, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Mr. Sound

Mr. Sound Supporting Member

Since he moved back to (his native) U.S., to me he sounds totally American.
    But... whenever he is parodied, like on Family Guy, they give him a strange half Aussie accent, and in Epic Movie, a totally Aussie one!
    Soooo.
    :confused:What does Mel sound like to Americans?

2. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

3. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Supporting Member

4. Thisguy

Thisguy

To actually answer your question.. I didn't know he had ever spent any time Australia until I was in my late 20's and was shocked to find that out. I just assumed he was from the states. I can only speak for myself, of course.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

He sounds like an American to me. A racist, ******* American. :D

7. gidbass

I don't agree with your stereotyping/generalization of Americans, but I do agree he is a racist.

8. Mr. Sound

Mr. Sound Supporting Member

Don't feel bad about having him back, we've still got plenty of racists left here!
    (They are easy to spot... they start every sentance with..."I'm not racist, BUT....)

9. gidbass

Ha! we have those here as well let me tell you...;)

10. Bassist4Eris

You'll note that I'm an American. You'll also note that I used the :D smiley, which meant I was kidding.

Is there no room left for ironic humor on the interwebs? :meh:

11. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Mel sounds American.

I remember seeing Christian Bale on a talk show promoting one of the Batman movies and he was doing the interview with an American accent which I thought was strange considering he's Welsh.

12. gidbass

I did notice that, but what is even funnier (more funny?) i am Canadian...;)

Its all good.

13. Bassist4Eris

See, knowing you're a Canadian gives me a warm-and-fuzzy knowing you were sticking up for us. And I thought you guys were only interested in beer and hockey, eh? (Note: more ironic humor. Here's the wink: ;) and the big grin :D to prove it.)

14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

IIRC, Mel Gibson is actually from somewhere north of NYC. His father moved the entire family to Australia so as not to subject the older brothers to the draft / selective service.

Favorite film: "The Year of Living Dangerously".

Riis

15. gidbass

beer...hockey...women...and bass!

that's really about it...;)

EDIT: maybe trailer park boys, and Bob and Doug McKenzie and Red Greene...but that is the extent of it

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Yes, Mel is from Peekskill, NY where I lived for 8 years.

17. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

All movie stars and television personalities are annoying egomaniacs. Their "charisma" is tedious. They are not artists, they are clowns.

18. gidbass

Can't comment directly, but does sound like a generalization...

Be happy....;)

19. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Say what you will about Mel, but I really dig some of his movies. And I'm a huge fan of his rants.

Funny how Mel gets ostricized in Hollywood, but people still line-up to work with Woody Allen.

20. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Mel is great, and his movies speak volumes.

21. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

I've always found Mel's accent to be somewhat unique. Not really American, not really Australian. Like a lot of Hollywood actors, he seems to display a lot of vocal training that makes his accent pretty non-descript. Being from the Northeast, there is nothing about his way of speaking that screams New York in any way, at all. My Dad is from the Lake Champlain area and I have lived my whole life in this section of the country.

If you go back to his Lethal Weapon days, and watch the movies, you'll see that there is something strange and unusual about the way he talks. Like Hugh Jackman, he sounds like an Aussie playing an American. Actually, Hugh does a better job masking his accent 99.9% of the time. In most cases I would never have thought he wasn't an American.

Now you wanna talk about accents.....let's talk Mark Wahlberg. If you watch The Departed, he's the only one with a genuine Massachusetts accent, the rest are totally cheesy. Pretty good in The Fighter, as well. Which is understandable considering he's a Boston boy. Yes, that's how we really talk.