1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Melodic bowing solos to practice

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Les Fret, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Les Fret

Les Fret

I am looking for some nice jazz/fusion bowing solos to practice/transcribe. Not fast bebop solos but more 'melodic'/'singing' stuff like Eddie Gomez' Caprice or some of the more melodic Christian Mc Bride bowing solos. I also have John Goldsby's jazz bowing book.

So anyone has some nice tunes to practice? Possibly with a youtube link to the recording.
  2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

John Goldsby rec'd a particular album to me a while back here on TB.

Arni Egilsson - Basses Loaded
  3. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

I am pretty fond of the Michael Moore/Bill Charlap duo recording Live at Maybeck Recital Hall. They play beautifully together and there is a lot of melodic arco playing from Mr. Moore.
  4. Don Higdon

Don Higdon

And he doesn't use an amp here.
  5. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar

"LIKE"

"Little Girl I'll Miss You" from Dave Holland's One's All just came on my IPod. Starts off with a nice melodic arco solo.
  6. Les Fret

Les Fret

thanks for the input so far.

Very nice one! This was the only recording of the above suggestions I could find on youtube.
    Any more ideas?
  7. Chris Symer

Chris Symer

Don't limit your searching to YouTube? The Michael Moore recording is worth finding where ever you can.
  8. Les Fret

Les Fret

You are right. But I can't buy every cd that is suggested here. Youtube is a good way to hear some parts of it. If I really like it I will try to find it.
  9. mtto

mtto

There's a Gene Bertoncini album of bossa nova tunes with Michael Moore. Probably not on YouTube, but really great bowing.
  10. Les Fret

Les Fret

Thanks. Which Christian Mc Bride recordings/songs are worth checking out for melodic bowing?
  11. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

The recording Bridges with Gene Bertoncini has some magnificent arco work by Michael Moore. I think it's only available on vinyl but one that's well worth tracking down.
  12. InfoPope

InfoPope

Swedish 'New tango orquesta' playing 'Mute'. Tweak sound but brilliant expression IMO
  13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Not for nothing, but why limit yourself to bass solos? Trying to match the phraseology, timbre and nuance of a great tenor solo will do much to deepen your arco abilities.
  14. Don Higdon

Don Higdon

I'll retell the story of an early lesson with Michael Moore. At the end of my solo, Michael said something like "That was fine, except that you sounded like a bass player."
  15. rosskratter

rosskratter

John Clayton also takes some beautiful arco solos, definitely worth checking out.
  16. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    Slam Stewart. All of it.
  17. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Yeah, I have to +1 re: Slam Stewart. Working through one of his solos and he's got some pretty cool lines and ideas. You can hear him developing the story and working through it. I will def be studying more of his stuff.
  18. David Kaczorowski

David Kaczorowski

Fuqua don't bow, but he speaks the truth. Trumpet solos can be good too.
  19. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Don't bow well, but I do play arco....
  20. Treyzer

Treyzer

I'm reminded of the lesser Clint Eastwood quote! :D:bag::cool:

BTW, me also!