Memorable Gigs, But Not Because of the Music

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by HockeyDawg, Feb 21, 2014.

1. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

Ok, I was going through some old pictures when I ran across some of a gig we did about 5-6 years ago. It was February and once we got there, we were told it was going to be an outside gig. Now February in Phoenix isn't as cold as most places, but it was still probably 40 degrees out and there is a reason I live in Arizona. Anyway, we had some time to kill as we were the second band playing so everybody starts chatting up the kinda hot bartender. After much daring somehow we manged to convince her to pose with some of our new stickers. Here are a few of the PG-13 pics and a few of us freezing our butts off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tennesseemick

Tennesseemick Supporting Member

3. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

No, it's an LTD Viper.

4. pklima

pklima

I'd have to say that being recruited by a couple of singers who were in high school, and getting to play a Britney Spears song in the local symphony hall just because it happened to be near their school so they rented it for their year-end ceremony was pretty memorable. More memorable than any outdoor festival or touring in Transylvania or playing a hundred meters underground in a salt mine.

Now, I'm not saying "Toxic" isn't a memorable song - it definitely is - but getting to play to a packed symphony hall, that's awesome. I don't know if it's the biggest applause I've ever gotten in my life, but it sure sounded like it. Then again, maybe applause just sounds better in a good concert hall?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    I love being in az for this reason. No cold weather uniforms for servers.

7. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Really? Presented with those pictures, that's the one question you choose to ask?

8. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

That sounds awesome. One of the few places I've never played is a concert hall. I'm jealous.

9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Quite a few gigs over the years that were memorable due to everything but the music.

10. Tennesseemick

Tennesseemick Supporting Member

Thanks.

11. busmandan

busmandan

Many years ago, I was doing a gig when one of the waitresses became a bit enamored with me - to the point that she was flashing me almost continuously during the gig. At the end of the set, she walked up to me, slammed her tray down, and stormed off in a huff.

Reason? She didn't think I was paying the proper attention to her after her "performance". Why? Because I'm extremely nearsighted - legally blind in some states - and since I don't wear my glasses when I play, I never saw a single thing she did. The other guys told me about it later.

12. powderfinger

powderfinger

I walked into the men's room during break at a gig once, and caught my drummer's girlfriend having a 3-some with a guy from another band and his wife. I shut the door quick, and they must have realized they'd forgotten to lock it. Like a good friend, I dropped dime, and the drummer nearly beat the door into splinters with his bare hands. Once the door (now locked) came down, the 3-some was trying to pull their pants/skirts back up and get decent, because about 50 people were rubber-necking around the corner. The drummer's gf came charging out of the door and tried to choke the hell out of the drummer. I honestly can't remember a single song we played that night, but I can remember that like it happened yesterday, even though it was 15 yrs ago.

13. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    ..playing in an Aice Cooper tribute band. Gig is going great, place is packed. One of our consistent groupie girls [apparently] pulled off her undies,climbed on stage in her super short mini-skirt and started grinding the bass player (me :p) and his bass. Crowd went totally nuts. Did my best to hold down the groove under that level of distraction.

14. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

Had a gig with the urban gospel band that I play for that will forever be high up on my list of weird gigs...

We were playing a musical event at a local church opening for some national gospel act, and miraculously the whole band made it on time, but they put us into a side room where we sat there for almost an hour (missing our "soundcheck") and they wouldn't let us into the actual venue until we bought tickets to our own show.

After they finally let us in (for $10 each, and there are 14 in that band), I had to run back out to my car for headphones and the girl at the door almost didn't let me back in, even though I had my torn ticket stub with HER initials on it. Mind you, the whole band was wearing all white, I had walked in with my bass bag on my back and I kinda stick out as the white bass player for a black urban gospel band. Lol

As the first band got going, we noticed that only half the mics worked about half the time, and I started noticing the drummer having problems... They had put the set on a 4ft riser, but with no carpet. You know the term "yard sale" for skiing, where you wipe out and your gear goes everywhere? That's the only way I can describe it... Kick drum slid forward and when the drummer tried to get it situated, the high hat ended up going left, floor tom went right, cymbals fell forward into the five vocalists who were trying to sing and help the drummer at the same time.

Fast forward to our turn on the stage. I was told they'd have backline I could use, and when I got up on stage, one of the sound guys (and I use that term very loosely) told me I couldn't use the amp I thought I was supposed to, and pointed to the smaller one next to it. No problem, right? Well, the guy wouldn't let me touch it, and he couldn't get it to work. Our band leader was on the mic vamping with a story, and he actually called them out ("we got no bass"). The guy that was trying with the amp said he'd be right back... And disappeared completely. I ended up playing air bass for that gig with our main keys player playing bass. They were taping it, so I just smiled and played nothing NEAR the actual bass lines, just for fun. Lol Luckily we only did two songs, after which I immediately packed up my bass, threw my cables in my bag and split, right out through the center of house and out the door. I couldn't get out fast enough.

Weirdest gig I've ever played.

5sg.

15. richntiff

richntiff

I"m reading these and realizing I haven't really lived....:D

16. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

Back when I was in the Air Force, in the late 80s, I used to play with a band that did a mix of covers and originals. I was stationed in Alexandria, LA and we played a place in town a couple times called Chelsea Street Pub, it was a chain down south that had a circuit for bands to play. We could only play the local one since three of the five of us were military. We'd gotten to know the owner so we'd fill in if a band cancelled or whenever they needed us. It was the kind of gig where you play Tuesday through Saturday, 4 sets a night. A fun gig that payed fairly well.
    So, we're playing for a week when on what I think was a Thursday, we have a "Readiness Exercise" on base where we prep like we're going to mobilize and it gets called off 4-5 hours in. So no big deal for us, because we don't start playing until 9 pm. So we all show up to the club about an hour before the show when we notice that our singer hasn't arrived. This is the days before cell phones so communication isn't as easy as it is now. I call his unit and am told that he is still participating in the exercise as a "runner" delivering documents around base. They have no idea when he'll be released from his duties. So collectively, the rest of us start panicking. The club owner starts telling us we gotta do something as 9 comes and goes so we start doing the old "Well, I think I know all the words to songs A and B and you can do songs C and D..."
    Finally, we go on stage and just start faking it as best we can. We do an extended "blues jam", we try to play the songs the rest of us think we can sing. It's kind of a disaster since we're lost without our singer and this kind of club goer would only tolerate so much improv. After 3 sets of faking it, our singer walks in about 5 minutes before the last set. We finish the night wounded but still alive.
    Never wanna have to do that again.

17. mwbassace

mwbassace

Was playing at our #1 venue. Been playing there for years. Well this nite a semi-regular was the doorman, 1st time doing this job & was drunk. This guy was always cool to us in the past, a fan so to speak.
    Well all nite he's bitchin' about us being to loud, to the point even the bartenders were fed up w/him (no one else was complaining about volume.) While on our break the rest of the band is on the front patio when I happen to look in the window and see our FEMALE lead singer (a mother of 5) who had enough turn and take this guy down with one hell of a choke hold.

Needless to say the Drummer, guitarist, & me all run inside to help. But didn't really need to other than to save the drunk-*ss. Years later we still laugh about it.;)

18. Hues

Hues

One of many...

Mid 1980's,...We drive about two and a half hours to central Kansas.Get to the bar, the manager looks at us and says " You guys are booked for next weekend."

That was it for the agent who set it up.

We did do the next weekend gig.

19. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

I played a cover gig in 1999 and the drummer's beans were visible to everybody in the band. Who wears short shorts? It was pretty gross.

20. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Ha ha ha.....WINNER!

21. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav

Not funny, but certainly memorable. Was playing the Williamsburg Inn in Williamsburg, VA, on a full moon night. Stage is low, first level only about 12" off the floor, drum riser is about 18" up from that. Lead singer has His D28 on a stand and in back of it on a stand is his SG. He is singing and playing Congas.
    Drunk Lawyer fall into the guitars. Even over the instrumets and PA I heard the sound a D28 makes when the face is caved in and an SG when the neck snaps off.
    We all just stopped playing and stood there in disbelief.
    But, in the end it was okay. The Lawyer apologied, asked what the replacement cost would be, and wrote the singer a check on the spot. It Cleared.
    You just don't forget a couple of nice guitars laying in pieces on the floor.