1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Memory issues while learning very advanced songs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Music_for_life, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

2 Weeks ago I finished learning Sexually Active by Stu Hamm...All the song...I could play it at 80% of the tempo.

I took 10 days off the bass because I had an injured finger. Some tapping part I had to relearn it...it was very frustating. I am not an exelente tapper...
    Any advices?? Is this common???

pd: This weeks I took off I got drunk some times..
  2. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton Gold Supporting Member

Learning the song has nothing to do with tempo, that is a performance issue (rehearsal).
    If you have learned the song you can play play all parts of it, if you struggle with a part then you have not truely learned it.
    Check out the link, this is truely learned as they required no-one when they pracatice it.

http://youtu.be/J-ZdmlKX06A

You will find that when you learn a song, that is the mental part, the playing of it is a performance, that is the physical part. It os common for player to learn a song, and struggle to play it...then wake up one day and find they can play it. All that has happened is the physical side has caught up with the mental side.

When you first pick up a bass it is 100% physical 0% mental, because you cannot play what is in your head.
    As you progress as a player that ratio changes it becomes 90% physical 10% mental, then 70% physical 30% mental etc.

This procces continues, till you hear a song and can play the song as a performance after just hearing it a few times...your brain will order the notes and your brain will relate that info to your hands. This is what is happening from the very start, but now your brain and hands are becoming one, so the time between learning and playing is getting less.
    A rut or dead end is when the physical side leads the brain. Easy way out is to learn new ideas and have the physical side follow the brain again.

One last point, if i tried to explain this post in Russian, but could not, that does not mean i do not know what i am talking about, it just means i cannot physically do it, but i still have the knowledge of what i want to say, i have still learned my subject, my facts etc.....but i just cannot explain that in Russian.....so the two are separate things....just like learning a song and performing a song are two separate things. But the more they are used the easier it becomes..a dis-jointed song becomes a flowing song and broken Russian speech become fluent Russian speech. :)
  3. Hulktopus

Hulktopus

My suggestion is to break the song down into sections. Maybe 2-3 bars at a time. Then all you have to do is play each section in the right order (and some sections may even repeat). This is how I memorize songs. Also, don't move on to the next section until you've mastered the current section. Make sure you can do it right at least 3 times in a row before you continue.

If you mess up, DO NOT START OVER FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE SONG! This wastes a LOT of practice time going over something you've already mastered. Start at the beginning of the section each time you mess up. You have to be able to play it CORRECTLY before you can play it quickly. Speed should be the last thing you work on.

$.02
  4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Believe it or not, I have an easier time remembering tougher songs. I assume it's because I actually have to spend some real time learning them in the first place. I forget easy songs more quickly, but can fortunately wing them better now that my ear is getting at least somewhat competent lol.
  5. bassinplace

bassinplace

Everyone has there own methods that work for them and we all have to discover what those are for ourselves. That said, I would like to comment that when I learn songs I always continually go back to the beginning.

I learn the first section, then the second section, then go back and learn playing the first and second sections together. Then I learn the third section, go back and practice playing all three sections together, and so on.

Back and forth, back and forth and by the time I get to the final note the whole song is memorized, mentally and physically. Works quite well for me.
  6. wrench45us

wrench45us

I'm finding now the same thing as jmattbassplaya. If a section is pretty vanilla, not a lot sinks in -- and unfortunately if there's any slightly tricky part I'll make the same mistake over and over. But if a section is fairly challenging and I have to dig in, it tends to stick much better.
  7. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

Practice it a few more times before you start slacking off!

Jk jk (hyok hyok)

- Jimmy Rage