Mesa 1x15 speaker coil fried: new speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Invisible, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Invisible

Invisible

Hi. My Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 1x15 is dead. Speaker impedance is some milli ohm, instead of 7 or something similar (it ise the 8. Ohm version). I think the coil is gone. But in Italy a new 15" Mesa speaker is 379 euro, about 450 $ !!! What if I install a different speaker? What brand and model? What do you think about it? I really like the reaction to distorted sounds of Mesa speakers, but its reLly expensive!
  2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

You can find a local speaker repair shop and they can recone your speaker if it is the coil that has blown. They would buy a kit from the manufacturer and rebuild the speaker. When done, it is as good as new for a fraction of the cost.

You can't just change the coil but in some cases, it can be repaired. Something might have just came unsoldered. One test that you can do is disconnect the speaker wires (label them first) and measure the resistance across the braided wires that connect to the coil.

If a coil blows, the DC resistance is usually infinite, an open circuit. If you are reading milli-ohms, then you have a short. So look into the possibility that the speaker is fine and there is a short in the cab's wiring harness.
  3. Invisible

Invisible

I read milli-ohm with the speaker disconnected from the electronics (connection board, horn...), that's why I think there's a short. Anyway, I'll try to make it fix. But what about a compatible speaker? Eminence for instance?
  4. AstroSonic

AstroSonic Supporting Member

You might want to double check the drivers dcr, moving the cone (gently). It may vary as the cone moves, and might even return to normal. If so, good. If not, there are plenty of drivers that will 'work' in that cabinet. It's just that they will not sound the same, and are unlikely to have that Mesa sound. If you post the approximate internal box and vent dimensions the cab can be modeled with a few drivers.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. winegamd

winegamd

Call eminence with the part number 767100 and they will look it up and tell you a suitable replacement. The Powerhouse 15 8 ohm is $309 dollars new on the mesa website, so it might be cheaper to buy it from them and have it shipped than buying it in Italy.

Also, the Eminence deltalight II 2515 or basslite C2515 would probably work in your box. For reference, the Powerhouse looks to be an OEM version of the Kappapro or Deltapro series.
  7. Invisible

Invisible

Official Mesa Boogie assistance in Italy tell that "they don't fix Mesa Boogie speakers, they change them". So I will ask to local hifi cabs repairs to ask for control and re-coil (if the problem is the coil)
  8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    A used EV 15B or L will make it sound like the older Mesa cabs if you can find one of those locally for cheaper.