1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mesa 400+ impedance question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ariff, Dec 10, 2012.

1. ariff

ariff Supporting Member

So the 400+ has two output taps on the back marked 2 ohm, two marked 4 ohm and two marked 8 ohm the idea here is it you are running 2- 4 ohm cabs you hook them to the 2 ohm taps to present the amp with a 2 ohm load likewise with two 8 ohm cabs run hook them to the 4 ohm taps. What should I use if I am running a 8 ohm and 4 ohm cab together which total around 2.6 ohms?
    Thanks!

2. MAMMOTHvolume

MAMMOTHvolume

What are the cabs? I wouldn't recommend running different impedance cabs in most cases

3. ariff

ariff Supporting Member

2x10 avatar and 1x15 avatar.. 2x10 is 8 ohms and the 1x15 is 4 ohm. Been running these cabs with several different heads (Peavey and Carvin) without any issues ever. Just picked up the 400+ on CL a few weeks ago which will mainly be used with my Power House 8x10.. But for smaller gigs which require us to lug gear up stairs I like to use the 2x10 and 1x15..

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You're onto it.
    With tubes it's generally better to run under the rated tap impedance than over it. In this case 2.6 is so close to 2 it probably wouldn't stress things too much but tough call to make.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    If the 400+ is not fixed variable bias modded?, its such a cold running amp on its tube set, it would do no harm to run it at 2.6 ohms on the two ohm tap and I am usually a bit of a stickler for not messing with tube amp output tap/speaker matching impedances.:bassist:

7. ariff

ariff Supporting Member

OK good to know.. This is my first tube amp so I am still learning about them. I actually think I have a 8 ohm 15" speaker in another cab I might just switch them out to be safe. And no the amp has no bias mods done to it. It is stock fixed bias..

8. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

IIRC There was mention of your situation in the manual, which the last I knew was still available for download on Mesa's web site.

9. Brookdalebass

Brookdalebass Supporting Member

Yikes. Now I'm confused. I've been running my 400+ with two 8 ohm MarkBass cabs (4x10 and 2x10). I plug one cab into the 4 ohm output of the Mesa and take a Speakon from that cab to the other...two 8-ohm cabs in parallel...isn't that presenting the amp with 4 ohms?

10. nicoli

nicoli

Yes... so why the confusion?

11. Brookdalebass

Brookdalebass Supporting Member

Thanks, Nicoli...ariff's original post kind of made me think I was doing something wrong...my 400+ sounds great and is actually louder and much meatier than my MarkBass Tube 800 head through the same cabs.

I started my bass playing career with tube amps but switched to solid state...then hybrids: Hartke, Ampeg, Eden, Aguilar, Mesa...always felt something was missing. Got the Mesa 400+ a few months ago and found out what that missing link was.