Mesa 6x10 vs Swr 6x10

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by brattbugg@sbcgl, Nov 7, 2012.

1. brattbugg@sbcgl

brattbugg@sbcgl Supporting Member

Is there a huge difference in achievable tone between these 2? I was looking at a 90s version of the Mesa, not a powerhouse. With no way to hear them at the same time, I'm very unsure. I play mostly classic rock and dance top 40 covers. My head is a Mesa M Pulse 600. P bass and Jazz basses. Right now I use a Powerhouse 4x10, I'm looking to get into a bigger cab, not use both.
  2. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I regret selling my SWR 610 big time (But my back doesn't)

Its not a cab that does huge dub like, reggae like lows... but for what you're doing (Which is what I do) Its awesome.... ALTHOUGH now I'm rocking the GK NEO 412 & thats as good if not better than the SWR 610. I'd gig the NEO 412 & leave the SWR 610 in the rehearsal space most likely
  3. brattbugg@sbcgl

Are there better eras of the swr stuff?
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have not played an SWR 6x10 in a long time, but I was really hot on them for a while. That was until I heard my Mesa/Boogie Diesel 410. I now own a Mesa/Boogie PH610, and it's a really excellent cab. Once again, I have not compared the two directly, and it's been a while on the SWR, but if my memory serves and extrapolation is reasonably accurate, I'd expect the SWR to be more scooped sounding in the mids, with big lows and snappy high end and the Mesa to be more warm, balanced and also more articulate.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

My main gigging cab for a couple of years was the PH610, and for atleast one of those years, I had a Goliath Sr in my band's rehearsal space - so I got to compare the two on a regular basis in a band setting... I would say the PH610 was slightly more mid-present and "warmer" sounding, but it wasn't anything I couldn't make up with EQ... Low end output and volume were pretty much a wash, and IMO the Mesa had a slightly nicer sounding high end, but again - nothing I couldn't manage without EQ... The Goliath Sr is slightly lighter, but is ratfur covered - and the Mesa has a much better handle layout... I'd probably still have the PH610, except I got a killer deal on a PH810 that was only a few months old, and still practically brand new - so the PH610 became expendable... It took a 500 mile round trip drive to get the PH810, but still well worth it... I replaced the PH610 with a new PH215, and really like that as an alternative to my PH810...

- georgestrings
  7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

I honestly can't say about the older Mesa 610, as I've never even seen one of those... I can say that a PH610 or Goliath Sr(SWR 610) will both work really well for your stated purposes, and with that head - I also gig an M-pulse 600...

My gut feeling is that the Goliath Sr is a safer bet if you have to buy "sight unseen" - since it's probably newer, and I never liked the older Diesel series as much as I do the current Powerhouse series... IMO, the Diesels were always a tad to mid-voiced *for me*, and a bit low end shy - besides being more prone to blowing drivers than the later Powerhouse series are... JMHO,

- georgestrings
  8. agreatheight

agreatheight

I have not directly compared the two side by side, but I have played them both (and I currently own the SWR 610). This seems about right to me - they are different but not so different that you shouldn't be able to eq to get very similar tones. I think you would likely be happy with either.
  9. brattbugg@sbcgl

Thanks. That's exactly what I needed.
  10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

No prob - the M-p 600's EQ options will get you where you need to go with either cab, I'm sure...

- georgestrings
  11. klejst

klejst

I once inquired about the same question regarding the PH 6x10 and the Goliath 6x10. Many would say although different, the SWR 6x10 is pretty close to what the PH 6x10 delivers as far as tone. Now I myself cannot say I believe that since I never have owned or played a SWR 6x10, but many have said the Goliath 6x10 would be a good sub cab for the Mesa.

I take it you are still asking about that 90's Diesel 6x10 you seen on GC's site. Let it be known that the newer cabs do have improvements over the older 90's versions. However SWR has older cabs from the 90's and early 2000's as well.

I have heard a lot of great things about the SWR Goliath 6x10, however like I said before I am also a big fan of Mesa/Boogie's gear.
  12. brattbugg@sbcgl

Yeah that's the cab I'm referring to. I was looking around and found a ton of swr cabs at some pretty good prices. I just keep going back to that Mesa for some reason. What I probobly should do is bite the bullet for a PH 6x10.
    FYI shipping at GC used for any 6x10 is about $40 in the lower 48. Not bad.
  13. brattbugg@sbcgl

Just pulled the trigger on a pre fender Goliath sr. 2001 model, $450 shipped from Florida to Michigan. Also have the GC 30 day guarantee.
  14. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

I have a Mesa Diesel 2x10 and i also have an SWR Redhead 2x10 and i can tell you that the Mesa has a very distinct mid scoop, while the SWR is far more pronounced in the mids. Nothing beats the Mesa for Slap and hard rock picking, while the SWR is more versitile especially with funky/R&B finger playing. I feel like the Mesa pushes more air, that may be as a result of my SWR bieng rear ported and the Mesa front, but man that Mesa thumps hard for a 2x10!

Ive had them both for a while and over the years my preference has gravitated more to a bump in the mids rather than a smiley face scoop. I like the SWR but i feel liek the Mesa is finer more boutique cab. I think the choice would come down to your playing style. I currently use a Genz Benz GBE750 w the Mesa and i wish it did NOT have such a scoop as i find the DI to sounds better than the sound coming out of the cab due to lack of detail in the mids.
  15. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you like the low mids on the PH 4x10, the Goliath Sr. won't deliver.

I have a Megoliath... most massive lows you've ever heard at just about any volume and you can crank them until your windows fall out. I tried to dial in PH-style low mids and it farts out like crazy when the volume is at 2-3 on my 180w tube amp. Just doesnt do em!

That is the difference between the two.

An old Mesa 6x10 will be dope. Present, punch, tigher lows and less mid scoop than a PH cab. A tiny bit more vintage sounding and less insanely detailed on the midrange/highs, but still bold and clear. It is easier for me to get growly sounds out of older Mesa cabs.