Mesa Big Block 750

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pshep68, Oct 27, 2012.

1. pshep68

pshep68

Hi,
    I've got a chance to pick up a Mesa Big Block 750. I know it will have more power than my Ampeg 3 Pro (440W), but how will it sound tonal wise? It does have 4 - 12AX7s in the preamp. How does it rank against the 3 Pro. Thanks.

2. blastjv

blastjv

Its a monster of an amp! IMHO it kills the 3Pro.

3. rekesbass

rekesbass

for a hybrid,it sounds very tube-like(more so than any other solid state amp I've heard)..nice simple straight forward pre-amp controls,very easy to find a good sound....and yes it will kill the 3 pro

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Agreed on all of the above - also, if over driven bass sound is your thing, the BB750 has one of the best OD sounds of any amp I've ever played...

- georgestrings

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 to above, but your choice of spkr cab is even more important.

7. pshep68

pshep68

I'd probably be playing it through the Ampeg PN 115HLF & PN 21HLF. Would this be o.k.?

8. rekesbass

rekesbass

I think you'll be fine with those cabs...I've tried mine through different cabs and they all sounded good..it's hard to make this head sound bad

9. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

It's not my favorite Mesa amp, but definitely prefer it over the 3Pro, having had a few myself.

10. Molan

Molan

I was using one today through a Bag End 2x12 & it sounded HUGE!

Really impressed with the power & punch of this combination.

Sounded great with a '65J but didn't seem to suit a '73P I had with me for some reason. It was still nice but I had to work the tone controls a little more. The J sounded great with everything centred.

I had a quick opportunity to run it against a pair of Aguilars as well - an AG500 & a DB750. I used all three through the BE 212 and set all amps flat - not the greatest comparison but all I had time for.

To my ears the Mesa kinda sat in the middle of these two. The AG was nice but didn't have the heft and power of the other two and was an overall brighter sound.

The DB, through this cab, sounded more vintage, stacks of low end power and a tone I think would kill in a live situation. The Mesa really held its own against the DB though. I was a bit surprised as I've tried a couple of other Mesa heads and thought they were too dense and even wooly for my liking.

The Big Block kept all the low end but had some sparkly highs as well.

Should be able to have another try out at the weekend :)

11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

IMO the clean channel, when cranked, is magic......it has the same magic dust as a Walkabout, with more grunt.

12. Molan

Molan

I agree on the clean channel - it sounded nice at low volume but as soon as I started to wind it up it suddenly burst into life :)

13. Alex1984

Alex1984

Yes, I think the BB and the Titan are some of the closest Mesa hybrid heads to the WalkAbout, and that's good in my books.

14. rekesbass

rekesbass

yes..the gain control is magical ...the more you crank it the sweeter it sounds..my sweet spot is between 1 & 2 o'clock..the added bonus is the overdrive channel.

15. pshep68

pshep68

Will there be that much difference in volume between a 440W amp and a 550W amp? I will be using two 8 ohm cabs getting me to 4 ohms therefore I will not be able to max out the BB 750.

16. Alex1984

Alex1984

It shouldn't make that much difference between 440 and 550. But if you have more speakers, that'd make a much bigger difference.

17. pshep68

pshep68

I'll be running an Ampeg PN 210HLF and a PN 115HLF ... how do you think I will fair?

18. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think either of those heads will be able to push the cabs quite close to their limits.

19. Alex1984

Alex1984

Yeah. The BB750 would be enough to push those cabs to their max. If you want more, you'd need to upsize your cabs before your head.

20. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

I think the limiting factor is the cabs. The OP's current head, or either of the new ones he has been looking at will take his cabs to their limits.

21. Alex1984

Alex1984

Also, be sure to check out the sticky on mixed speaker sizes. They can be good in some cases but bad in others.