Mesa Boggie 400+ should I ??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by HemiBob, Mar 20, 2014.

1. HemiBob

HemiBob

Hey guys,

There's one of those heads up for sale locally at a really cheap price... Seller states thit it needs to be re-tubed and missing a few knobs and scratchy pots. I know that it's the 12 power tube model so a retube is not cheap and that ishould probably habe a tech do it

Here's my dilemna, the head is not in my town, it's a few hours of car away actually, so i can't have it checked out first. Previous owner says he stopped using it when a few tubes went bad, he had a spare head and used that one and let the Mesa on the sidelines... He always wanted to get around to fixing but never did and now he wants it out !! BTW head comes in a case...

I've looked around and these heads seem well rated and aren't cheap... I don't plan on gigging, would it be too much of an amp in this case ?

So, what do you guys think ?
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

What is a cheap price?
  3. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat

A retube by a tech could cost upward of $300 depending on tubes and bench cost. A general cleaning of pots will also add up. If your "cheap price" + retube and tech fees is still a good deal, well...
  4. HemiBob

HemiBob

Cheap would be around $400...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Cirk

Cirk

Something doesn't smell right. Sure, that's dirt cheap. Due to the condition and distance, have him take it to a good tech to give you a full list of needed repairs so you know what you're dealing with.
  7. HemiBob

HemiBob

I don't think he wants to put a penny on that head, wants to get rid of it, he stated make an offer in the ad... I asked him at what price he would let it go. So I don't think he ll have it evaluated for me. It's a crapshoot, it could be a tube job only but could also be more.
  8. anderbass

anderbass

Did he say why he thought it needed to be re-tubed?
    (I'd let him answer that question first, then also ask if its had issues blowing fuses)

Besides scratchy pots, does the amp power on, and produce any sound when he try's to play it now?

Also, did he say what brand/model of rack case it comes with?
    (a Mesa sus-4 shock case could add around $300 to its value...)
  9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

A retube in Montreal will be more than 300....more like 400 plus (lots of ) tax, and there will likely be other repairs/charges. Personally, I'd stay away unless you know you specifically are after a 400+ and are willing to bite the bullet and absorb major repairs/surprises. If you're not gigging and specifically after that amp, I'd go in a different direction. Just my .02
  10. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i'd just buy a non issue one for 675 (a little more or less), that's what i paid for my d180 and it's been bullet proof for over 3 years now
  11. HemiBob

HemiBob

I ll try to get some more details and symptoms, from what I know, tubes needed to be changed and he stopped using it and used his other amp. Maybe he just didn't want to deal with it cause of the cost involved. He says it doesn't need more than tubes...
  12. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You don't need to get the power tubes professionally done. Just buy a set from a vender who knows the specs for Mesa power tubes or can simply provide you with a sextet of 6L6 at 35-40 mA (those are the specs). You can pop them right in.

If it's missing knobs it might be a little beaten up though.

$400 is dirt cheap man.

I'd get it. These old school designs are rock solid and fix-able.

It's a bad amp. A king among amps IMO.

Great idea.
  13. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

for a comparison check out kijiji winnipeg,amps/pedals 7or 8 pages in .....(not mine)nice shape,low hours on a retube,800 bux with a factory case ...and there have been a few of them on offer lately for as low as 700....mine was a grand but it came with a rolling rack and a power conditioner,but was a few years newer than it is now....

sounds to me that one is going to cost you more long term than it's worth,plus a lot of your time
  14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

I suggest offering $200 and see what happens.
  15. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

By the time you buy it (for $400) and dump tubes and whatever else needs to get fixed you might as well just grab one that has no issues. I got mine in mint condition for $700.
  16. HemiBob

HemiBob

Thanks all for the replies !! If i could find one locally, even if it's the standard 400, in good shape, I d take it but they very rarely pop up.
  17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Just sold mine. Worked perfect and looked great Got $750 for it
  18. remainthesame

remainthesame

for me personally, that would be too much amp for a simple living room jam sesh.

but then again, theres people i know who have a fridge and have never been in a band
  19. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

yeah,i don't play out any more but i have an svt, v4b,400+ and some solid staters.... you can always get your money out of it if you change your mind,and even in the living room the new svt still kicks a__ and takes names
  20. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Knobs can prolly be ordered from Mesa. Even the pots; if cleaner/lube doesn't resolve them. Just make sure the transformers are good - then I'd say go for it. Cold solder joints are easy to fix; for $400 US or less I'd jump on it. Even if you have to take it to a tech you'll know it's solid.
  21. HemiBob

HemiBob

So the guy responded: never blew a fuse, tubes were old, one went bad , he used the term "milky".

He had another head he could use and felt the Mesa was too big for what he needed anyway so he didn't bother having re-tubed. Didn't want to bother with a tube job and then sell the amp.