Mesa Boogie 2X12 or?????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cableguy, Nov 3, 2010.

1. cableguy

cableguy

I curently play through a RBI/600W Power amp and a SWR Goliath II 4X10 Cab. I play mainly rock with a little blues and worship thrown in. I'm looking to upgrade my cab soon and have been playing the Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 2X12 and the local GC. It sounds AWESOME!!!! The upper end is so smooth with the tweeter at 50%. I normally turn mine off on the Goliath because it sounds like poo. I am looking at 2 other cabs. The Berg AE 212 which I plan on demoing in the next few weeks. The other cab I'm thinking about is the Avatar 2X12 which I cannot demo. Anybody in TB land play through any and/or all of these cabs? Any upside or downside to any of the above in your minds. The other thing to keep in mind is all my equiptment is made in the USA so that is why I'm not looking at some other good cabs out there.
    Thanks,
  2. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

I play through a Mesa 212 and it's definitely worth the price of admission.
  3. bothroysnvts

bothroysnvts

I had the Mesa 212 for 2 weeks before I traded it in for a Mesa 410.... Now I want to pick up a Mesa 212 to go under my 410. It is a great sounding speaker cabinet and even thought the other 2 that you mentioned have good reviews, I won't hesitate to recommend the Powerhouse 212!
  4. Matt Dean

What I like about the PH 212 is that I can carry it myself and it fills most of the rooms I play in Northern Cali.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

I just played a Mesa M6 and an 8 ohm 2x12... Holy crap. Probably the nicest rig I've played in a while, and more than loud enough.
  7. Matt Dean

That my rig, except my 212 is 4ohm... I agree: it sounds truly killer.
  8. cableguy

cableguy

Thanks for the input. I'm definately leaning towards the Mesa. It sounded great to my ear as well. Should be more than eneough for any room I play in the forseeable future.
  9. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

I've always been a fan of a 212 on top of a good 115 if you need more loud and penetrating but nice full bottom. Mesa 115s (the Powerhouse and also the older Diesels and Road Ready's) are great - a good match for their 212.
  10. hotrodjohn

hotrodjohn Supporting Member

GO FOR IT!

[​IMG]
  11. Matt Dean

^ Nice photo... killer rig!
  12. 77stingray5

77stingray5

Used to play thru Svt 4 pro head and 410 cab. I play in a blues band, and needed to get into smaller and smaller clubs, but yet still needed to crank up at the bigger venues. I tried the Mesa 212 and M9 Carbine. That was last year- and I now use nothing but...IMHO the 212 has a darker, more mellow tone than the 410 cab- it took a bit to get used to- but it sounds great in the mix. It is amazingly light, without being one of the "light" cabinets. And, unlike the Ampeg cab, considerable tonal tweaking can be done from the back of the Mesa cab. It is rugged, and as a bonus, comes with its own cover- useful when loading out on a rainy night. Have not tried any other 212's- haven't needed to!
  13. bassfart

bassfart Gold Supporting Member

I just ordered a 2x12 to go under my 4x10 Powerhouse cab, I can't wait to hear what this will sound like. STOKED!!!!!!
  14. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

I have the M6 carbine combo, and LOVE IT! Go For it!
  15. Crabby

Crabby

I guess you could say I like Mesa 12's! :)

[​IMG]
  16. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lawyer & Hobbist Bass Maker
    I have a carbine 6 with a powerhouse 15 and a power house 2x10 and I love them like no other. Anything Mesa is great. I say go for it young man!
  17. mournblade

mournblade

Mesa Titan V12, 4x12 and 2x15 sounds great! I liked the GK Neo cab I had, but I don't know where it was made; if it is USA made, that is a great option, it really sounded good (4x12GK).
  18. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Necro resurrection.
  19. aikido307

aikido307 Supporting Member

Hi Crabby, i was wondering what you think of the sound of the Meas 4x12 you have? I have a chance to pick one up, the one in the road ready case. I currently have a SWR Goliath III 4x10 and SWR Goliath Son of Bertha 1x15. Just curious what you thought of the sound difference. There is no where around my house to try out a Mesa really. Thanks. =)
  20. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Supporting Member

I have the M6 212 combo, and I add a PH115 for shows. Best sound ever!
    IMHO, the PH212 is one of Mesa's best creations.
  21. mournblade

mournblade

I am not crabby, but I have the PH 4x12 as well, and it just sounds awesome! I had it solo'd with my VBA this morning and it was killer. It definitely has a mid range voicing, but to me it sounds SOOOOOO freaking good. I generally run the cab along with a Mesa PH 2x15, and to me, that combo is unbeatable.

Quick Pic:

[​IMG]

The focus is on the bass, but shows the Titan and the 2 cabs.