1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Mesa Boogie 400/400+ with an 8x8" Cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by HemiBob, Mar 28, 2014.

1. HemiBob

HemiBob Supporting Member

I know it was asked a few times in past (old) threads but there doesn't seem to be any answers out there...

Anyone ever tried it ? 8x8" seem interesting and have some good reviews, but would this be a good match ? Pretty compact for starters...

2. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Last year I sold my 800rb & Henry 8x8 out of necessity. Times are better now; next weekend I'm picking up a 400 and a bass, and most likely a used cabinet I have my eye on at a local shop. I still know where ol' Henry is and might work out a trade of some kind to get him back. The current owner would prefer a good 210 anyway.

My only reservation is that I'll have to leave it up at my church as my vehicle is not ideally suited to transport it (got a sedan now - had a van last year). But I liked it when I had it, I know it will be killer with the Mesa head.

So this has me thinking about sending the owner an email to see if he'd be up for a trade of some kind and go from there. Eventually I'd like a MVW Flex 210 but I don't have the budget for that - yet.

Aside from all my ramblings, I think an 8x8 would be a great match for a 400...

Raz

3. HemiBob

Thanks for the input Razman !

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

8x8 doesnt tell you anything about the cab. Which 808? what drivers are in it? What does the cab around those drivers do to the sound?

Those are the kind of questions that matter.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HemiBob

I' m leaning towards the Yorkville xc808 which is , I heard, similar to the Traynor 808

7. HemiBob

8. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

From what I've read, Yorkville = Traynor, and it's the "Peavey" of Canada. Solid, reliable, and reasonably priced gear. Don't think you can go wrong there.

However, there is a 1516be within my vicinity that I'd like to pick up for my 400, that would be a nice looking stack.

Raz

9. HemiBob

So your take is that it would be a nice combination, a good match ?

10. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

I haven't researched any comparisons between the Yorkville/Traynor product and an SWR cab, but the majority of what is said about the Henry is pretty close. It's got lows, not uber lows, but plenty enough to get some boom. Not sure what your specific needs are though.

I was thinking of contacting the fella I sold mine to just to try out my 400 with to see what it was like - if that happens I'll let you know.

Raz

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I used one of those at a gig a while ago. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it handled everything my six string threw at it.